Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2011, 12:34 AM   #1 
AKD1727

Opinions on new filter / Opinions on neutralizer blocks

I've got a 8 gal tank that's not currently filtered but has an airstone. I'm wondering which would be better: this hang-on filter, this internal filter or this internal filter.

I was thinking the Aqua One mini as it has flow control...

ALSO...

I have keep a neutralizer block in my tank and it seems to cloud up my tank quicker hence the decision on getting a filter.

Does anyone else use these blocks? Do they make any difference? I've only just started testing my water so I won't know if it has helped the pH in my tank for a while yet
AKD1727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:47 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Any of the filter will work fine for your 8gal tank...if you have live plants you may want the internal type...but without live plants the HOB that you like will work fine provided that the flow isn't too strong for the Betta..but with flow control that helps and you can baffle it if needed too...

The neutralizer block...I don't know what that is...can you post a link...however, provided that you are making the needed water changes you shouldn't need it and if it is for pH....you need to be changing the pH of the replacement water too for the water changes...it is often better/safer to allow the Betta to adjust to your source water pH.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:03 PM   #3 
AKD1727

Thanks OFL. I don't have any live plants yet but I was thinking of setting up my 6 gal critter keeper and doing a plant only test run, just to be safe!

Here's a link for the neutralizer block. I have a different brand which claims it keeps the ammonia levels lower or something.

Hmm...I just read in another Aussie fish forum that apparently these blocks treat for acidty not alkalinity. Okay, I reckon I'll take it out and see what happens over the next week or two.

Oh! Another quick question: Do bettas eat the algae by rubbing their mouth back and forth along the glass? My boy does that, then stops and then sucks water through his gills a few times then goes back to rubbing the glass. He doesn't do it all the time, maybe once a day or two days, usually when I'm late to feed him. He only does it on the back panel where I don't clean the algae off.

Last edited by AKD1727; 06-20-2011 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Boogered it :)
Old 06-20-2011, 09:41 PM   #4 
Thunderloon

About the rubbing, your smart boy came up with a trick.

"alkalinity" means hardness.
hardness is how pH is regulated.

pH is either base or acid, so I'm assuming that the neutralizer blocks are designed to increase pH by adding hardness to the water until it gets around 7.2. Looks a little gimicky to me tho because anything placed in the water will continue to dissolve. I use Neutral Regulator which is designed as a 7.0 buffering dechlorinator/dechloraminator with ammonia/nitrite/nitrate buffering. I'm sure you can get a product like that someplace close to you and use it as a controlled dose.

Trusting a large pile of minerals to only dissolve "as needed" in a volume of water is just silly but companies constantly get away with advertising it.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:11 PM   #5 
AKD1727

Ah, okay thanks Thunderloon. Is this what your talking about? I looked at this the other day. My current water conditioner is very basic but it does have a small amount of slime coat enhancer in it, apparently. I'll give it a go.