Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2011, 05:42 AM   #1 
SillyCone

Exclamation Huge pop-eye [emergency]

OMG I'm desperate!

Housing
What size is your tank? 3g
What temperature is your tank? 20-23 stable (internal heater in my room :P)
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?no
Is your tank heated? no, having trouble finding a mini-heater for him here..
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 3 annubia plants (?) and I put one of the snails with him... maybe last couple of days...

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Mini granules / bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? mini granules in the morning and bloodworms in the evening (as a snacK)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every 2 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tap water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

(from the old aquarium he was in..)
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0.5
Nitrate: 10
pH: 7.5
Hardness: 500+ (hard)
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? I noticed yesterday slightly swallowed so I put the medicine and went to sleep because I was tired... Today it got like that (photo)
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He ate like a pig yesterday like usual... Today he is refusing to eat and he is just floating on the top of the tank.. I think he lost some colour as well.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, Myxazin, is a bactericide I have... I put double the dosage today >_>! (The bottle says to put the dosage 1-2 times a day on the tank.. so I made a 100% and put the double the dosage, cus yesterday I put the normal one.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yeah, when I got him he had some gooey stuff around him and some fin-rot, which all recovered well.
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1.5year maybe.

----------------------------------------

Guys, I changed his water Sunday.. I swear he didn't have anything.. Yesterday I noticed his eyes slightly bigger so I put the medicine... today got like this.. I think his eye will burst open or something... this is the weirdest thing that ever happened to me.. :C

I feel like I fail at keeping his water clean or I got something wrong.. I have Fillet for like 4 months now... He never had anything like this.

SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:54 AM   #2 
SillyCone

my mother advised me to put some vinegar on his water (?) I'm not really sure if that could work... All I know I ran out of aquarium salt, I can get some but just on the evening, when my neighbour returns. =/
Old 06-20-2011, 08:04 AM   #3 
BettaFishRule

Ohhhhh myyy . I have seen cases but not that bad i dont think it will pop but try searching cures for popeye for betta fish? I hope you can find something :)
BettaFishRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:09 AM   #4 
SillyCone

it's getting worse by the hour... I never saw anything like this... If I could have a guess I'd say the infection started around 15 hours ago... This is so strange... His eye is getting even bigger now... He barely moves now.. I wonder if this is like a super-mutation of the bacteria... That somehow is super resistant to the bactericide.. As I said I never saw anything like this... I fear he will die before the sun sets today =/
Old 06-20-2011, 09:10 AM   #5 
ANHEL123

If u want to treat with medications I treated that before with TETRACYCLINE API mixed together with Fungas Eliminator by Jungle. Someone on the forum recommended to me long time ago and it helped.

But here is what Oldfishlady recommendations about Pop-eye.

Qt-or small container-first 3 days Epsom salt 1tsp/gall then increase on the Epsom salt 2tsp/gall on day 4-8 along with 100% daily water changes-water temp 76*.

Use 1 gall jug and pre mix Epsom salt for right dosage.

Sorry Oldfishlady that i am using ur advice.

Feed high protein diet. U know u can feed them with mosquito larva.

I don't know how to feed with mosquito,but i feed my bettas with tiny tiny...pieces of the cooked shrimp.

Good luck.

Last edited by ANHEL123; 06-20-2011 at 09:13 AM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:12 AM   #6 
SillyCone

He's not eating though... But I will put him on epsom.. Epsom is what I don't miss.. I have a huge sack here =/

But I'm not sure that will help much, this bacteria is consuming him way too fast... well lemme change his water and mixture.. brb
Old 06-20-2011, 09:13 AM   #7 
Tisia

poor guy :/ I think usually epsom salt is recommended with popeye since it helps with swelling, like 2 tsp a gallon, you get it from pharmacies if you don't have any
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:14 AM   #8 
Tisia

oi, I'm slow this morning
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:20 AM   #9 
DarkMoon17

With such a serious infection, you should combine the epsom with medication. Epsom will help with swelling but it doesn't really fight off infections. You need an anti bacterial mixed with a anti fungal.
I have found that the Tetracycline/Jungle Fungus Eliminator mixture works very well. He might lose his eye though.

For long term health you should be keeping him at 25-26* C, 20-30* C is only 68-73* F. WAY too cold.
Do not use vinegar with fish....
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:25 AM   #10 
SillyCone

is no WAY too cold, is cold yes, but at a safe range still, it should be at 25 I know, but I can't turn my room into a sauna, specially with the other tank already heated. Finding a good 25w small heater here is being hard, I could buy a 100w that probably would fit there, but I'm not sure about buying a 100w for a 3g is a good idea.