Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2011, 09:49 AM   #11 
DarkMoon17

20*C is WAY too cold, considering that 18*C would be potentially fatal for a betta long term, IMO two degrees more isn't much better. He can't feel comfortable. Do you have a thermometer in his tank? Water is always 3-4 degrees cooler than the temperature of the room. Aside from medications, a new heater would be a really important purchase when possible. The infection probably got so bad so quickly because cold temps lower their immune system.

In a pinch you could float him in the heated tank. You have to QT him to treat him anyway and warmer temps will boost him immune system. Generally, for bacterial/fungal infections you want the temp to be around 76*F (24.4*C) so his immune system is supported while it is still too cold for the bacteria/fungus to take off (they like warmer temps).

Last edited by DarkMoon17; 06-20-2011 at 09:54 AM.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:50 AM   #12 
SillyCone

not really no, yes I have a thermometer and he was used to live in 10-15c with his old owners for around 6 months... Tell me about cold water -__-'

(and at a 1.5L "tank")
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:57 AM   #13 
DarkMoon17

Was he kept outside or something?

Regardless of his old set up, he needs warm water or his immune system won't be able to fight off infections like this one.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:03 AM   #14 
SillyCone

I'm afraid if I float him up on the heated tank he might jump to their tank, because it's a female sonority.. Besides, if he does jump he can spread the infection to them, I'm not willing to get that chance.. I will turn their heater off and increase my room heater for 30ish degrees... I think I will go for that combo mixture you said, I could go and buy the heater as well but the way it is going I'm not 100% sure he will survive today.

And I know is slightly cold, but I'm afraid of buying a bad heater or one that will melt the plastic on it. >_>! But we will see, if he gets better today I will buy the 100w regardless.

Also sorry if I sound a bit stubborn or rude I'm kinda nervous, he's getting weaker and weaker, that bacteria is NOT normal, I'm serious about it. Never saw such a strong infection... it hasn't been 24 hours since the start and he is already "dying" =/.

I think I can live with another pet without 1 eye (my dog lost an eye as well lol... But I don't live with her anymore, she is with my best irl friend anyway :P)

Ah and no, he was kept inside on their apt, but it was winter here, and we can get up to -10c easily.. =/
Old 06-20-2011, 10:04 AM   #15 
ANHEL123

SillyCone start him on Epsom salt with 100% daily water changes until u buy TETRACYCLINE API which u can buy i am sure in any store. Fungus Eliminator by Jungle unfortunately not every store has it. U can order it 888-373-8686.

Also u can substitute TETRACICLINE with MARACYN 1 mixed with MARACYN 2.

I think if it that severe may be u do need 2tsp/gall to start. And if u Qt him it really easy and fast to change the water. Just per-mix it for correct dosage.

Last edited by ANHEL123; 06-20-2011 at 10:07 AM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:07 AM   #16 
SillyCone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
SillyCone start him on Epsom salt with 100% daily water changes until u buy TETRACYCLINE API which u can buy i am sure in any store. Fungus Eliminator by Jungle unfortunately not every store has it. U can order it 888-373-8686.

Also u can substitute TETRACICLINE with MARACYN 1 mixed with MARACYN 2.

Sorry I live in the UK but I will try to find it anything that can substitute it if anything, my LFS has a guy who is an expert on fighters, I will go there in like a half an hour.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #17 
DarkMoon17

Ok since you might not have the same brands- the active ingredients you need to look for are: Tetracycline, sodium chloride, and nitrofurazone. It is ok if there are other ingredients too, but those are the major ones.

Popeye is not contagious. Since your girls should have strong immune systems (b/c heated and clean tank) they should not be susceptible but I understand if you are not comfortable with that. You can float him with something that has a lid. It is not normally deadly unless it goes untreated. It most likely hit him so hard because he has no immune system to fight it off.

I've never had a problem with a heater melting plastic... just don't let it touch the sides if you are concerned.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:41 AM   #18 
SillyCone

my heater (on the other aquarium) kinda I forgot to turn it off when I was making the water change... It burnt my hand and melted it's surpport plastic... <_<! It never worked the same way again.. It's working, but its like I put 30c to make it stays at 26. lol...

But thanks again, I noted everything here, also turned the heaters on.. I'm off to the LFS.. Btw before I go, I remember they had an essence from idk leaves from tea or something.. I remember OFL saying about it for treatments.. but I can't remember much (dang is sounds so vague now...) but it was quite expensive.. should I buy it as well?
Old 06-20-2011, 11:04 AM   #19 
DarkMoon17

Oh, ya tannins. They might sell "Blackwater" treatment or Indian Almond leave extract... That would help therapeutically but would not heal him by itself. The eye looks really bad and if he is lethargic and ect... it wouldn't hurt to get some if you can.

yaaaa, careful with heaters... That's happened to me too during a water change but it was glass so the glass cracked. It's pretty dangerous.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:33 AM   #20 
SillyCone

bought an overpriced 25w heater and 2 medications... didn't find ones with those ingredients I'm afraid..

Methylene Blue (effective agains fungal & bacterial) 2.44%

Disease Clear (effective against fungal & bacterial) (Silver Proteinate - 0.151%)