Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2011, 04:51 PM   #21 
frogipoi

Are they tablets? How big? Try a tenth of it. That is usually the amount. Or less.
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #22 
DarkMoon17

I do not believe you should be giving Tetracycline orally... I have no experience with that and who knows what the dosage would be (you would need to know the weight of your fish lol). Does your lfs not sell the dissolvable version?
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:29 AM   #23 
fightergirl2710

The thing is I got oxytetracycline (Terramycin) from the chemists, it's a powder in capsules.. No I checked with a few fish stores and they all suggested I get it from the chemist. I checked online and it said it's better to give it with food and that dissolving in water should be the last course of action. I was worried about the oxy bit but my grandmom helped me out a bit with the dosage and assured me it's almost the same as normal tetracycline. (She's a doctor). I think next time I'm just going to order some fish meds online, this is crazy!
Update on Cleo: I gave her the medicine coated on a bloodworm last night, she gobbled it up.. Her eyes are back to normal size, fins are unclamped and body has reduced a lot. Her abdomen is still pale though and she has a bit of a stress line. She's not listless and swims around, and comes up to me. She's just slow in her actions but so far it looks good. *knocks on wood*
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:28 AM   #24 
DarkMoon17

I'm glad to hear she is feeling better and it sounds like Cleo is handling it pretty well so giving it orally isn't hurting her. I'm going to go post about it on VIN (Veterinary Information Network) to see what they think. How long to you plan to continue treatment? When I was treating my goldfish with Metronidazole covered bloodworms I gave it to him twice per day... But if she is improving with once per day treatments then don't increase it unless she doesn't get better. Good luck!
Old 06-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #25 
fightergirl2710

Yeah, once per day is what I'm doing right now.. Grandmum said for five days, does that sound alright? Please let me know what the VIN think as well. Thanks a lot for helping btw! I realised I hadn't thanked you all this while. C:
Old 06-22-2011, 11:04 AM   #26 
DarkMoon17

No problem at all :)
The typical treatment for fungal/bacterial infections is a 4-6 day cycle. If there are still symptoms at the end, then you repeat it one more time. I posted your issue on VIN so we'll see what they think.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #27 
fightergirl2710

So, I'll have to do the whole 5 days again right? Should there be a break in between or should I just continue the dosage non stop if I don't see it getting better? But really thank you! This is really helping and I find this forum so comforting because I don't find many people IRL who would care about a fish... It really makes me happy that there are people who care! :D
Old 06-22-2011, 01:52 PM   #28 
DarkMoon17

I know right, this site makes betta care so much more rewarding!

OK, here's what i have from VIN: Terramycin can be given orally, as an immersion or even by injection. It has even proved to be extremely successful at fighting columnaris! Doses are quite variable (10-70 mg/kg Q 24 hr) and can be given PO (by mouth), IM (intramuscular), IC (intracorporal? into the cranium...), or as an immersion (in the water). It should be given once every 24 hours... Continue until symptoms are gone. Terramycin is FDA approved for boned fish so I think you are pretty safe.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #29 
fightergirl2710

Ok that's good! Although I'm worried, she's being clamped up again. She was sitting at the bottom when I saw her which really freaked me out btw, she came up to see me and I sat with her for 5-10 min, she was swimming during that time... Slowly but swimming, she's alert, eats and is stong enough to swim away when I try to put her in the cup. Her tummy is still pale, but the clamping and the sitting at the bottom really scared me (she could have been resting but still). I hope the terramycin works. *crosses fingers*
Old 06-23-2011, 04:24 PM   #30 
fightergirl2710

Update: She's swimming around nicely now, not lethargic but has to stop and rest frequently. She's gobbling up her food (and the medicine) and she seems soo much better (thanks to you, Darkmoon :)) Even the swelling is gone now. She gives me the "feed me moar nao!!" looks when I feed her too!But the stress stripes and pale belly refuse to go away.
Should I change something? Epsom salt has been on for 4 days, Terramycin for 3. IAL is in there always... Should I change the salt? I feel like I should be doing something... Any suggestions?