Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2011, 09:40 AM   #1 
Wyvern

Quick question regarding my new girls

Ill be getting them on saturday. I spoke to the breeder and currently they are about 1.5cm (3 months old). Can I add them to the 10g tank with the guppies? Or should I keep them separate (I have a small tank I can use to grow them a bit more). (I just googled 1.5cm = 0.5inch)

My guppies are small tho - the largest one is 2cm the rest are between 1 and 2cm.

The tank has loads of plants as well as a few terracotta pots and a fake tree stumpy thing that has plenty of cover.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:55 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Personally I would QT the new females for at least 2 weeks....then add them to the guppy tank.....sometimes, not always...mixing guppies and Bettas can help the Bettas grow/develop bigger and faster and the guppies help teach them to feed faster/better too.....not to mention if the guppies drop fry and the Bettas get to enjoy some free range live food...triggering that hunt instinct.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:44 AM   #3 
Wyvern

*mwa* Thanks OFL!!!!!!! That was what I was thinking. Now just to get a small heater (the smallest we get is 50W) so that the QT tank is ready for them on saturday.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:22 PM   #4 
Betty

Hi wyvern, totally agree with ofl, just out of interest, what colours are they???
Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:27 PM   #5 
Wyvern

That is the pic the showed me of the parents. So far this is what the fry looked like about a month ago

Btw im getting all three from him - his only girls that made it. We had some really bad and weird winter weather that threw the fry off :( He has about 7 males and the three girls. Im hopefull they will be as colourfull as their mom and dad because that colour is rather rare here.

Last edited by Wyvern; 06-21-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:11 PM   #6 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Wyvern,

Guppies are quite beautiful fish in their own right, like little jeweled butterflys... I only wish they had the size and life span of a betta!
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:24 AM   #7 
Wyvern

Here Fishy - I will be honest guppies used to be my all time favourite fish ever! My uncle had a huge 400L tank that he had filled with guppies and one veiltail betta male. That tank lived in harmony till the betta passed on at the age of 4 plus years! That was were I got my love of guppies and betta's from. Ive currently got 10 different male's in the tank and they are so stunning. I got lucky and my LFS sold them to me for next to nothing and they are a mix of normal and show guppies.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:07 PM   #8 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Four years is a good life span for a betta... he must have been very happy with his tank mates! :)
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:19 PM   #9 
Wyvern

Hehe he was,
Darn the breeder just let me know hes not 100% sure he is selling me girls :S But I will take the chance, they are still tiny, how can we tell at what age they are boys or girls? they are about 1.5cms now - 3months
Old 06-22-2011, 04:49 PM   #10 
HayrideHaunter

i cant see the pics =( but awwww babies and guppies! my little brother has a guppy and two mollies...theyre quite adorable =)
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote