Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2011, 05:09 PM   #1 
fishman12

How do you Siphon?

So I was thinking that we should have a thread that people can tell how they siphon and give tips and tricks. When I was first starting with the siphon it took me around 2 hours of trying to get it started.
So,
1. Get siphon and cover hose with thumb.
2. Dip siphon end into tank and let it fill with water. Remove full end from water.
3. Remove thumb from from end of hose and let drain until water flows through the hose. Promptly cover hose again.
4. Replace end of siphon in water and turn upside down. Let go f hose. You have started to siphon.

So how do you siphon?

(can this be made a sticky after it has a lot of replies?)
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:34 PM   #2 
Loryen

Thanks, this is great!!

Some siphons, like AquaVacs, have a vacuum mecanisim that is activated by moving the end up and down in the gravel.

This sometimes works, and it sometimes doesn't... the trick is to get it right. Stick the end in the gravel, as deep as possible, and quickly jerk it out. Stick it back in slowly and deliberetly, then pop it back out.
Don't randomly stick it in and out, or it could take you 20 min + to get it to start.
Also, make sure that the hose is pointing straight down into the bucket. The advantage of gravity really helps when getting vacuums to work!!
Loryen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:37 PM   #3 
Sakura8

Does anyone have a Python or similar siphon that works using the suction of the faucet? If so, can anyone tell me if they can adjust to bathroom sink faucets? That's the nearest faucet and I'd love to be able to use one if possible.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:56 AM   #4 
fishman12

No, sorry
Old 06-20-2011, 09:11 AM   #5 
Wyvern

To get mine going I normally have to stick the vacuum part into the tank and then start sucking at the other end. Im so good at this now that I dont get water in my mouth anymore :p
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:53 AM   #6 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvern View Post
To get mine going I normally have to stick the vacuum part into the tank and then start sucking at the other end. Im so good at this now that I dont get water in my mouth anymore :p
You're better than me. Five tanks and with at least one I do get a bit. Bleeech. Plus, I hate when I lose the siphon midway and have to start over. I look at the end in the bucket with all the fish poo I've sucked out and think, "I have to put my mouth on THAT?"
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:11 PM   #7 
fishman12

UGH! Suck on it? I never would do that. *shudder*. Never trust the instructions on the box or whatever. They made me sooo mad cause it didn't work. When I finally got it I couldn't remember how I did it... Had to figure it out all over again.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:17 PM   #8 
Like You

I have to pump mine in and out of the tank to get it started, UGH.
I'll try sucking on the tube, might be easier.
But I don't want fish water in my mouth, blah
Like You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:29 PM   #9 
fishman12

good luck!
Old 06-20-2011, 04:54 PM   #10 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman12 View Post
So I was thinking that we should have a thread that people can tell how they siphon and give tips and tricks. When I was first starting with the siphon it took me around 2 hours of trying to get it started.
So,
1. Get siphon and cover hose with thumb.
2. Dip siphon end into tank and let it fill with water. Remove full end from water.
3. Remove thumb from from end of hose and let drain until water flows through the hose. Promptly cover hose again.
4. Replace end of siphon in water and turn upside down. Let go f hose. You have started to siphon.

So how do you siphon?

(can this be made a sticky after it has a lot of replies?)
I do the same thing as this...Minus using my thumb..I usually just secure the one end on my siphon into my bucket and do the rest quickly...I have gotten pretty good at this!

I tried the moving the hose up and down to get it started and I got nowhere...The only water leaving the tank was the water sloshing out everywhere!
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote