Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2011, 09:17 AM   #1 
sielkirk90

New Female Bettas/Tank prep?

I recently purchased a beautiful blue male vt betta named Leonard. He loves his new 3 gallon home and his thermometer, which he circles atleast 50X a day...

I love him so much I'm considering getting some female bettas in a few months.

How many females should I get to put together?
What size tanks should I put them in?
How should I prepare the tank/water and should I put them in all at once?

Thanks!
sielkirk90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:48 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping....

If you are new at Betta keeping I would not recommend a sorority of females just yet......they can be a challenge even for the most experienced.....I would do lots of research on this forum to get a better understanding of some of the problems you may see in keeping a sorority of females...sometimes they work and sometimes they can be nothing but a headache........

If you decide that you want to give it a go....IMO...you will have better luck with a 20gal heavy planted...fake or real....lots and lots of places for them to hide in both the upper level and lower level of the tank......tall items that go all the way to the top to give the less aggressive female a way to the top for air without being seen and if at all possible....try to start out with spawn sister that have always been kept together.....sororities can be awesome but they can be a challenge with their own set of problems....not trying to discourage you or anything.......

Love to see some pics of your male and setup......and hear more about your adventures in Betta keeping.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:08 PM   #3 
sielkirk90

Thank you! It will certainly be a while before I get any little ladies :)
sielkirk90 is offline   Reply With Quote