Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2011, 11:55 AM   #1 
Creat

House multiple betta in a small space?

Hey guys I am planning on moving into an apartment within the next year and I will have to seriously downsize... but I want to keep as many of my babies as I can right now I will have about 8 males and 4 females, the females can be housed together and are being so right now, but whats the best way to house the males? Drip system? Individual? Divided tanks? whats do you guys think... remember I am short on money like most people now a days I am trying to plan early and see if I can house them and get them adjusted before I move.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:35 PM   #2 
xMandy

I prefer divided tanks over anything.. I keep my crowntail males in a divided 2.5g and hope to get another for my two v/t males. My females are in a 10g and if I get any more males they too will be in a divided tank..
What do you have your males set up in currently?
xMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:44 PM   #3 
Tisia

if you go divided I'd personally wait till you're in the new place to do it. having to move a large tank sounds like a pain. plus, either way they'll be stressed by the move and basically have to adjust again anyways. divided is the cheaper way, especially since you'll only have to get 1 heater and 1 filter for multiple fish, but smaller individual tanks have the advantage of being easier to find spots for.
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:46 PM   #4 
Bettawolf19

I say kritter keepers. I know I have my hm and CT in a 3 gal one divided. Otherwise you can get storage bins too :) cheap and it works
Bettawolf19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:56 PM   #5 
Jessabell

Divided all the way. But like one person said, wait until you move to do it. I bought supplies and made my divider myself, it only took half an hour to about an hour, and it was really easy! :)
Jessabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:05 AM   #6 
Creat

right now their in separate 2 gallon to 1 gallon empty tanks lined up next to each other sort of cause there all different sizes and brands... I was thinking divided maybe get a cheap tank online and cut plexi glass dividers for it... however I am worried about the amount of space, do you think that 1 gal of room is to small for one betta?
and I might wait till I move to put them in I just want to have a tank ready to go when I do.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:32 AM   #7 
Wyvern

Get the tank ready! :P That way once your in the new place you can just add the kids to their new homes. In the smaller containers just keep up with the water changes and they should be fine. When are you moving?
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:00 AM   #8 
masshiimarro

i would definitely keep them divided, since water changes can be a pain. its much easier to water change divided tanks. the thing about divided tanks is that you have to make sure the divider is SECURE. make sure theres not too much empty space above where he can jump,, and make sure there are no gaps big enough for him to squeeze though- if theyr determined, they will try anything .. i had a male ct jump over to the other side and get pretty ripped up before i fixed my divider.. hes still regrowing his tail back..
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:55 AM   #9 
Creat

whats the least amount of space do you guys think that is alright before it is considered inhumane? Just so I know how many dividers I can do...
Old 06-21-2011, 11:28 AM   #10 
xMandy

The least I'd keep a betta in is 1g/1.5g
xMandy is offline   Reply With Quote