Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2011, 03:44 PM   #1 
kera236

Question Possible fin rot?

I mostly need a diagnosis if it actually is anything, but I've noticed some regrowth.

Housing
What size is your tank? QT half gallon
What temperature is your tank? 75 degrees F (chilly I know, my friend's giving me her heater in about 2 weeks)
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? used to live with 2 cories

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta pellets by Aqua culture, and Hikari freeze dried blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets in the morning, occasionally a worm (he's fat right now and dieting)

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Jungle Start Right and a teaspoon of aquarium salt (per gallon)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
N/A
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Small tear in dorsal fin, some dark discoloration and regrowth
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's a bit depressed, but I think that's because he's in quarantine
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Last week
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt/gallon and daily water changes
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He's just gluttonous
How old is your fish (approximately)? I got him early March

The red circles are possible fin rot, I drew an arrow to the tear in his dorsal but I couldn't get it to show in any of the photos I took. The blew circle is where I see regrowth colored a light blue.

Also, this is an evil question, but would he be ok in my 10 gallon cycled tank for aprox. 19 days w/o a cleaning? Right now I'm doing a 50% change every week. If not I'll try to get some one to clean it. However, my 'rents weren't very happy I got a fish :3
Thanks in advance for the help <3
Attached Images

kera236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #2 
kera236

Anyone?
Old 06-22-2011, 05:46 PM   #3 
Canuck Fins

You mention he's in QT. Is the half gallon his regular tank or was he in the 10G when he got sick? Were the cories still in the tank when he got sick? (Cories are a schooling fish and are best kept in groups of 3.)

I'm not sure about the discolourations.

19days without cleaning is going to leave the water pretty grimy. I wouldn't do it if at all possible, especially if your fish is just recovering from fin problems.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:56 PM   #4 
DarkMoon17

The blue looks like coloration to me, not fin rot. The only questionable one is the lower one on the anal fin. That could be fin rot. Just keep up on the water changes and it shouldn't become a problem.

19 days without any cleaning? Are there any other fish in the tank? I would see if your parents were willing to do at least one water change right in the middle.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:28 PM   #5 
kera236

@ Canuck Fins - He was in his 10 gallon with the cories when his fins turned. I feel bad for the cories, however I'm going on vacation and I don't want to leave my 12 year old sister with more to take care of. I'll be in the market when I come home (:

@ Darkmoon17 - I'll keep up the water changes, he seems sad though. He'll be the only one in the 10 gallon, I moved the cories recently. I think the albino was stressing him with all of its movement. I'll ask if they'll do it and show my dad how if he's willing. If not I'm sure I could have a friend come over.

Thank you both! (:
Old 06-22-2011, 08:29 PM   #6 
Canuck Fins

Do you have a hiding spot for him in your tank? That can really help with stress. Make sure he has a hiding spot, even a coffee cup on its side, where he can go to get away. :)
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:08 PM   #7 
kera236

He stays mostly in the bathroom with the lights off where it's easier to do water changes. I'll see about giving him a cup (:
Thanks for the advice <3
Old 06-24-2011, 12:51 AM   #8 
kera236

It doesn't seem to be getting better or worse. I'm going to cut down on the aquarium salt but keep changing his water every day.
He's sure cranky though lol