Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2011, 11:17 PM   #1 
LtAndy

Betta zipping away then looks dazed?

I got my betta, Alizarin, exactly 1 week ago. He's at my gf's place but i do see him everyday. Ever since we got him he was normal, swimming around and he's eatting like a little piggie. Everytime I came into the room he would swim to the front to say hi and when its feeding time he follows the spoon we use!
However, today when I saw him, when i put my finger near the tank he would zip away and make a few turns around the tank before stopping and just floats there for a minute or so (looks as if he's dazed probably from bumping into the glass?)
I thought it was weird but when i fed him he followed the spoon like usual, (though actually slower to respond because he was dazed D:), and ate it up immediately.
After i fed him he would greet me again in the front and didnt zip away when i put my finger on the glass.
But after that when i was getting ready to leave and say bye to them i went near the tank and he zipped away again (bumping into the glass several times! D:!) i didn't want to stress him out anymore so i just left, but please help! is there a problem with him? we did a water change yesterday but used conditioner, acclimated him, and everything. He doesn't have a filter or heater in a 2.5 gallon tank but the temperature is always at a constant 78 degrees no matter what.
I know i need to get him those things but right now funds are low. When i start my job i will get those things for him but for now i think he's okay right?
P.S. the whole week we had him he was very mellow in nature and this never happened before. he's eating normally, swimming normally, i don't know why today he was like this. Is there a color of clothing or something that might spook them ?
LtAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:58 AM   #2 
Sakura8

The first time this happened, did he come to the front to greet you as usual? Or did he just stay where he was and then suddenly seem startled when he saw your finger? I ask because I wonder if you woke him up. Some people have startled their bettas out of sleep so much that the betta jumps and hits the tank cover. And because they have no eyelids, we can't tell when they're asleep usually.

What shape is your tank? Some shapes, like round or hex, distort the view a little so maybe your finger looked larger than usual to him.

And finally, how often do you change the water? In a 2.5g, the water should be changed twice a week, one 50% and one 100% with gravel vacuuming. If the ammonia levels get too high, some fish will respond by flashing or darting as if they are trying to escape. Although, more often, bettas respond to high ammonia by becoming very lethargic. If you suspect this might be the case, step up the water changes. For now, if the temp stays at 78 degrees pretty reliably, don't worry about a heater (you'll want one for winter though). For a 2.5g, you don't necessarily need a filter. You'll still have to change the water the same amount of times during the week, even with the filter.

It's possible he's reacting to a change of your clothing. One person in the forum has a betta who will flare at her like crazy when she wears a certain shirt that has a black cat on it. But only when she wears that shirt. You can try an experiment and see how he reacts when you show up in a different outfit and then again when you show up in the same outfit you wore today. If he freaks out only when you wear the same outfit as today, then I guess he's a fashion critic.

And finally, and this might seem crazy, he could be sulking at you. Bettas really do form bonds with their owners, especially the males because they must be kept solitary. He might be mad that you come and go and don't stay like your girlfriend. Who knows? Bettas are mysterious creatures. They really are capable of getting angry at you, but whether or not it's because you don't stay I'm not sure. There's lots of proof on the forum that they can get mad, just read people's stories. As for mine, the other day I accidentally sucked him up the siphon tube (I felt soooo bad). He's fine but he bit me twice just to show he didn't care for the rough treatment. He also sulks when he's fasted and will hide.

If he continues to bump into the glass a lot, even when you're not there or under different circumstances, post again because then something may be going on.

Hope this helps you!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:05 PM   #3 
Echo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Some people have startled their bettas out of sleep so much that the betta jumps and hits the tank cover.
guilty
Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:41 PM   #4 
Sakura8

Ooooh, right. Doesn't Elvis glare at you a lot now for that?
Old 06-21-2011, 11:12 PM   #5 
LtAndy

Ah, thanks for the response Sakura. The tank is rectangular shaped by the way. I saw Alizarin today and I realize I probably did wake him from his sleep. Yesterday he did come to the front to greet me as usual but he was floating in the front when he was startled each time.

Today when I showed up he greeted me as usual and even followed my finger around the tank (never happened before! I was so happy). But when I was preparing to leave again at the same time as yesterday (10:30 pm ish) he was floating near the front and when I put my finger near his tank he zipped away, but this time only a little bit without bumping into the glass. He came back to the front and said goodbye =]

I feel bad I was mistakenly waking him up from his little fish nap but he's so cute just floating there right in the front of the tank! I can't resist saying goodbye to him or he might get mad at me =p

P.S. I actually read your post and saw your pictures of that incident; poor baby! He looked really terrible in the photos but glad to hear he's okay now!
LtAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:47 AM   #6 
Sakura8

You're welcome, LtAndy, I'm glad we figured it out and that it wasn't a serious problem. Since you haven't had Alizarin very long, he hasn't figured out the routine yet so I guess he goes to bed early. If he came from a pet store, I guess it makes sense since they probably turn the lights off and close around 10PM. But in a few more weeks, I bet he'll learn to stay awake until after you leave so he can give you his goodbye.

Don't feel bad you woke him up, it's an easy mistake to make. A whole lot of people have posted in a panic because their sleeping bettas look dead, sitting on the bottom of the tank. Other people say their bettas park themselves onto their plants or decor. One of my girls spent her first week with me sleeping wedged in between her heater and the tank wall, propped up on the suction cup. And at least now we know Alizarin isn't a fashion critic, clothes can be hard enough without having to please a betta too.

Thanks, I'm so glad my little guy is okay too. Now I take him out of the tank to be on the safe side but I have to chase him around with the cup for five minutes before I catch him. He's awful fast considering he has to cart those big fins around. My other guy is so nice, he literally swims right into the cup.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:51 AM   #7 
Neil D

Haha yeah, my guys sleep on top of their plants near the surface it's adorable!
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:49 PM   #8 
Echo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Ooooh, right. Doesn't Elvis glare at you a lot now for that?
yep! talk about holding a grudge.. he even floats there for a minute or two before taking the food out of the tweezers, so i have to wait on his silent treatment between nibbles
he's also taken to sleeping in the back under his plants now, too. out of sight, out of umm.. nap-jerk, i guess
Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:30 PM   #9 
Sakura8

Good grief, how long ago did you do that to him? He has the memory of an elephant!
Old 06-22-2011, 06:42 PM   #10 
Neil D

Elephant fun fact: elephants are one of the few animals that can recognize themselves in a mirror? Researchers put a white X on the forehead of a female elephant, and then held up a mirror and she touched the X on her own head! Smart elephants...
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote