Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2011, 05:40 PM   #1 
ChelseaK

2.5 Month old Fry/Juvies

This is my Al x Layla mating (Marble Plakat x Marble Delta). So far, are colors I'm getting from the spawn are very interesting.
Just started jarring the big guys this past weekend. Here are some pictures of how they are doing.

9 babies in their own cups/jars.

I'm pretty sure this one is a male. He's not spreading his fins much in this pictures but his anal fin is pretty long already in comparison to all the others.

This one is one of my roommates favorites because of the bright blue.

This one is my favorite as of now. :) I love the coloring and I'm pretty sure its a boy and a going to be plakat.

Here's some from a week or so ago

Comments are appreciated :) I still have around 20 or so in the tub, but I've been trying to take the biggest ones out a few at a time so the smallest ones can get more food and stay in the heat. The temperature where the jars are is consistently in the 70s.
ChelseaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:42 PM   #2 
mernincrazy8525

so cute love the bright blue one. your room mate has a could eye!
mernincrazy8525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:10 PM   #3 
ChelseaK

Thanks! It's exciting seeing them get color, but only the one looks like their parents so far! haha
Old 06-20-2011, 06:25 PM   #4 
BlueEyedBettaBoy

beautiful babies! can't wait to see what i come out with. i'm gonna have to get my hands on a marble or two one day...
BlueEyedBettaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:27 PM   #5 
ChelseaK

Yep I love the marble colors to because they are always changing. I have two fry that I know for sure are marbled. Hopefully I can get at least one boy and one girl, or even just one nice marbled girl to continue the line.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:01 PM   #6 
Betty

Talking

I have to say your roommate definitely has an eye for gorgeous fish, can't believe how rare marbled fish are supposed to be!!!I just got one from my lfs and she was one of about 7!!!if I had realised how rare they are I would have got them all!!!
Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:11 PM   #7 
ChelseaK

I see them at my LPS once in awhile but I drove an hour and half for this pair that is these babies' parents.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:21 PM   #8 
Wyvern

Can I ask you how you sex them? Im getting three on friday about the same age - 1.5cm's in lenght.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:39 PM   #9 
ChelseaK

Well the only one I'm pretty sure about is the one with the red fins, as I mentioned before and the reason I'm pretty sure about it is because his anal fin is already quite long in comparison to the others. So, depending on the tail type (which makes mine tricky because some of them will be plakats) you can tell by how long the fins are. Also the males will start to become more aggressive towards the others and you can probably start to catch flaring at some point. Males have a different type of flare than females: females when being aggressive will flare at the sides and go straight at the other fish whereas males will have a full "mane" if you will (flare on sides and bottom) and will swim and wiggle sideways from the other fish. Females shouldn't be too aggressive towards their sisters some fish will start to chase others off in the growout tub (which is why i jarred these when I did).
Also females when they get a bit bigger will start to show an eggspot. This however can be deceiving because some males also will show an eggspot.
I've read that sexing takes a lot of practice, and I'm definitely not very good at it yet, but it will be interesting to see how they turn out!

Hope this helps!
Old 06-23-2011, 05:11 AM   #10 
Wyvern

Hehehe thanks. All info is helpful :D Especially since Ive never seen ones so young before. The breeder is hopeful tho that hes picked 3 girls. I just cant wait anymore till tomorrow :D
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote