Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2011, 05:30 PM   #1 
Punki

Eggy female?

Just wondering if this is what a female full of eggs looks like? Shes been like this for about 5 days, gradually, but her eggspot seems to poke out more also so i just want to be sure its not bloat.

Shes still missing a pelvic fin, its slowely re-appearing, so it looks alittle funny at some angles.

Last edited by Punki; 06-20-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:00 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Is she showing any other signs/symptoms...like buoyancy problems, not eating or pooping, lethargic, hiding, clamped...etc.....if she is only showing a large tummy...its most likely egg related or food related....with eggs sometimes they will swim or carry themselves in a slightly head down/tail up position not to be confused with buoyancy issues.....

Lovely little lady by the ways.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:09 PM   #3 
Punki

Shes eating her pellet and larvae daily without issues, shes a bit hyper, no stripes vertical or horizontal, she flared and ripped her tail in the middle alittle bit during a water change, hardly noticeable, its not a full rip to the end of her fins. But her holding tank was reflective. She does sort of keep her head down a bit lower then her tail but isnt floating up or having any other issues so far, i just didnt expect her to end up looking like she swallowed a marble. She gets two tiny tiny pellets in the morning and about 5-9 larvae depending on the larvae size in the evening. After the larvae she looks huge for a couple of hours but then goes back down to this size. Should i lessen the larvae or stop the pellets when shes big like this until she drops/reabsorbs those eggs? Her egg spots so pronouced. Ive just been changing her water 100% daily and putting a pinch of aquarium salt in because of the slight ripped tailfin, and feeding her as normal and she just plumped up. Maybe she thinks she is being conditioned? lol
Thank you :) I got her at petco, a lucky find, other then her missing pectoral fin she was perfectly healthy and the missing fin doesnt seem to throw her off or anything.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:19 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Feeding larva...a good thing....however, it also get them eggy..one of the best ways to get a female ready to spawn.....instinct tells them with lots of good food means its time to reproduce......I would stop the pellets and just feed her the larva...as long as her tummy reduces a tiny bit after eating and she is not symptomatic to bloat, SBD or constipation....all is good.....do you plan to spawn or just boosting the immune response and making her healthy with good nutrition, having fun feeding natural foods and watching her hunt...laffs.....
Old 06-20-2011, 06:31 PM   #5 
Punki

lol I dont have any plans to spawn her, i just live in a hot muggy area of florida surrounded by canals and after a good rain i saw them in a bucket and heard good things. Her and my male both get them daily, i like knowing its good for them, hes a bit old so i figure it can only help keep him in good shape, and with her pectoral fin injury i thought it may help her heal up faster. Its growing back but very slowly, not sure if it will fully come back, im guessing she was a fresh delivery and before that she probobly lost it in a sorority or something like that, its a clean cut. Ive had her for almost three weeks, she gets oak leaf tannins, a bit of aquarium salt, the live food and the pellets which ill hold off on for a little while. The more i read my own words the more i realize i am sort of conditioning her without realizing it lol! I was just trying to repair that tail/pectoral fin... Amber colored clean water, live foods, high protein pellets, No wonder she was so excited to see her reflection that she ripped her tail flaring. Im just lucky to live in this area full of mosquito's and oak trees i guess, as itchy as it makes me :)) I hope her being in this condition, making her think its breeding time without the actual breeding cant cause any issues.
Later in the year i planned to get a 10 gallon and split it 5 gallons each put java moss in the divider so their views of each other are limited, but that way theyd have 5 each instead of 3g and 2g and i could do water changes at the same times but if shes always ready as is, she may "sense" him being over there and lose her mind. So far they dont know that the other exists :))

Oh and yes, its very fun watching them hunt, especially when a larvae finds its way between the gravel and glass, they go crazy! lol
Old 06-21-2011, 10:18 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

It won't hurt her....feed all the larva you want...just cut back on the pellets....
Old 06-21-2011, 10:28 AM   #7 
Punki

Okay, will do :) Thanks!
Its going to be 100 degrees here today so i have to go cover the buckets and add some cool water mid-day, ive noticed when it gets THIS hot they sometimes die off in the hot water but they arent very picky about water shock, i can take the hose to their buckets without them dying off.