Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2011, 06:44 PM   #1 
inkrealm

I know this isn't Betta Fish but please don't kill me~ GOLDFISH HELP FOR A FRIEND! D:

I've gotten everything I need for my Betta Fish here and I really admire the opinions of this group, they seem to have lots of experience. D: so while I was poking through for my Betta Fish, I noticed a few times some side notes on gold fish. like twelve gallons for each fish etc.
so if anyone has any gold fish experience or knows anyone who does I was hoping they could point them here D:
------------------ APOLOGY ENDING ------------
now DX
to the gold fish; my friend 'won' two maybe a year ago from a fair. how wrong it is to be doing this in the first place aside,
since they're always given as 'prizes' they just stuck them in a fish bowl. they don't realize what they really need and I tried to say something about it one time but she's really sensitive with her ego and she got all butt-hurt and wouldn't listen <T^T>
they've been alive for a good long while, so obviously they seem pretty tough, no fin rot or anything. BUT I did notice them gasping for air at the top of the bowl trying to find oxygen :/
sometimes the stench is so strong I can smell it a good few feet away D:
she told me they usually clean it more ( though I don't believe it ) and I tried to let it go and wait and see, but today in the pet store this guy was telling me how their insides keep growing even if their growth gets stunted outwardly by a small enclosure, and that eventually they basically explode. BASICALLY. ( does anyone know if this is true? >< )
so I got this idea maybe I can at least talk her into letting me buy them a proper-sized tank ( 12 gal per fish right? ) and a filter and some Prime and plants to help them out and give them proper room. the plants and filter and Prime will make the water changes last longer. and I can change it once a week or every other or something if they don't wanna mess with the bigger tank. basically I'm hoping to get all the useful information I can on them and it would be MASSIVELY appreciated... <3
since they're not mine my mom won't want me spending TONS on them, but she seemed okay with me getting them the basics when I asked. any ideas or tips? they're growing bigger and bigger every time I see them and they can't even swim in a circle around the bowl any more hardly and they're stuck right beside each other.....

Last edited by inkrealm; 06-20-2011 at 06:46 PM.
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:52 PM   #2 
Sakura8

Sounds like your friend shouldn't have fish, especially if she's not willing to take advice. Goldfish are cold-water fish, so 68-72 farenheit is listed as optimum. How much are you willing to spend on fish that aren't yours and may not survive much longer? Goldfish grow to 8-12", even feeder goldfish get very big so for these two goldfish (who may not live because of the conditions they're being kept in), they'll need at least a 20 gallon, preferably a 30 or 40g. Apparently, they have a reputation for eating so a good, strong filter is a must to keep the water clean, as well as weekly water changes.

Those goldfish are probably gasping at the surface because their water is so contaminated they can't get oxygen. Or it's being kept too warm - the warmer the water, the less oxygen there is in there. Also, they are dangerously overcrowded. That will cause them to run out of oxygen as well. In short, it's rather inhumane conditions. :(

I haven't heard anything about them exploding from growth, but there were plenty of google hits about them exploding when fed too much. And a couple of cruel ones about how if you put them in fizzy drinks or put hand sanitizer in their tank, they'll explode. Grr, sickos. Anyhow, the prognosis for these guys isn't good if she's not willing to take proper care of them even in a tank that's big enough for them. If you can keep a 40g tank yourself, I'd recommend you try and buy them from her but I'd say at this rate, they won't last long, the poor things. Sorry to be the bearer of grim news. :(
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:35 PM   #3 
inkrealm

Sakura- I'm willing to spend whatever it takes to get the poor little guys out of that nightmare. they haven't shown any outward signs yet so there's still SOME hope and I'm happy with that. at least I can say I did what I could.
I know she shouldn't she's not very responsible, she got them from a school carnival or a fair and since they were given as prizes I guess that's just how people think of them :/ especially goldfish, same way bettas are seen as decoration pets, they get seen as toy pets, just tossed to a little kid who doesn't know any better, shaken up and only God knows what else and it just gives them the appearance of an easy pet for a little kid :/
it makes me so mad at her and she gets so insulted, all we'd end up doing is fighting, I think I could beg her to let me give them a better set up though, it's not like I'm insulting her or telling her to give them to me. in fact I'd be doing her a favor, she'd practically have a free pet.
I'm going to get at least a 24 gal, I'm going to try for larger but ofcourse I have to get the approval from my parents, and some how hers. they've known me since elementary so I'm hoping they'll humor me but idk >^<

I know, that's why I want to fix it now. if she won't take advice and just try to start a cat fight, I'm sure I can at least talk her into humoring me, she won't lose anything from it so surely DX they're room temp so it ought to be okay, I have no doubt they couldn't get oxygen though, and that the water was full to hell of ammonia, the day I saw them doing that was the day I was able to smell it from feet away, it was miserable. she wouldn't let me change it, but my plan is to get the okay on the tank, and bring my own supplies, and just change it then myself whether she likes it or not.

I read several in Yahoo Answers from people who seemed to know their stuff,
the growth gets stunted but the insides keep growing like they should, so the insides keep growing, the outsides don't, and you know, it either rips through the skin or gets crushed by it.... that sounds so awful..... :( that's why I decided after that they HAD to have a larger tank, end of discussion, they /literally/ HAVE to actually :/
just the idea makes me sick, I can't knowingly not do anything about it :/ these guys are tough, the water's not gonna kill them, if they die it's gonna be painful, much more than it already is :/

fizzy- ;^;
I don't even have anything to say about that D:
I saw someone on here once who rescued a betta who had had that happen to him, some moron 'spilled' soda on his gill. he was okay though and she rescued him :D

Even if they do die at least I'll know I did everything I could and they died in good conditions.

I figure it might be too late, and I won't let myself get down if I can't save them, sometimes things just happen, but I wanna try at least. I know her and I know she won't give them to me or sell them simply because she'll be catty about it, but if her parents give me the okay I can go over there to take care of them, even if I have to go more than once a week, and she might be willing to change their feeding habits and all, that wouldn't be asking a lot of her.

thanks for the help <3 <3

Last edited by inkrealm; 06-20-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:45 PM   #4 
Tisia

I think depending on the type of goldfish it's usually 20 gallon for 1 and 10 more gallons for each additional fish
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:50 PM   #5 
inkrealm

Tisia- so 30 Gal? ^-^ thanks :D I'll aim for that one.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:59 PM   #6 
Sakura8

Inkrealm, now that you know the reality and the possibilities it may not work out and you're still not deterred, I can say with all my heart : GO FOR IT! You go save those goldfish! I'm rooting for you every step of the way. And by the way, not so sure if this a girl you want to be friends with. >_>

If they were given at a school carnival, they were most likely "just" feeder goldfish, so they won't be the fancy kind. But they'll still grow to a good size. And personally, I don't care as much for some of the fancy goldfish anyway. Some have trouble swimming because they were bred to be such an odd shape. And feeder goldfish make just as good a pet as any.

Good luck, Inkrealm! I hope you succeed in getting them out of that girl's care.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:10 AM   #7 
inkrealm

ah, we have a weird friendship, we were misfits together in elementary and she just kindof stuck >.<; I'd get pissed as hell at her and she'd just skip along after me talking like we were the best of friends anyway ;-;" she's not a bad person she just needs to grow up a good bit and notice the smaller things in life a tad bit more >-<; I have to admit I know a lot of very nice people who just don't take the time or don't quite understand..
I'm going to explain to her how they grow and what will happen if she doesn't let me help them and I'm sure she'll knock it off,
thanks for the help ^-^

yeah, I'm pretty positive they aren't fancy goldfish, but when I saw them after a few weeks dang had they grown DX
definitely, they really amuse me ^-^ they're very playful when they're not gasping for air >^<; and did you ever notice they have nostrils? :D maybe that's not as fascinating as I found it to be but I thought it was interesting anyway haha ^-^;;;;

and thankyou, even if I could just get them mildly into mine I think I could work with the poor things, x-x thanks again for all the help :D