Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2011, 07:52 PM   #1 
Ankali

Urgent: Just rescued 2 very poorly Bettas

Earlier today, walking through Walmart, I noticed to Betta cups.. both so green I could barely see the fish. I decided to attempt a rescue but I'm afraid they may not make it.

I bought 2 1 gallon containers for now and at first, they really perked up (I filled them with spring water) They both ate 3 pellets each and swam around for a while. Now they are sitting at the bottom of the containers. I think maybe they containers are too deep and the swim for air is exhausting, should I lower the water levels? I also bought aquarium salt but have yet to use it as I am unsure how to use it properly.

Is there anything else I can do for the poor guys?
Male Red Crowntail (with dragon face maybe?)

Male Red, White, and Blue(? He's very pale) Also crowntail.

Ankali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:55 PM   #2 
xMandy

I'd lower the water level so they can access air easily.
xMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:05 PM   #3 
BlueEyedBettaBoy

that's horrible you found them like that! i can't believe that! is there any way you could have filed a complaint? use these pictures? that's absurd!

but i'm sending lots of light and hope for these little guys that you pull them through this.
BlueEyedBettaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:15 PM   #4 
Ankali

Thank you! I lowered the water level on the worst one, the other has perked back up since the light has been on. Would they do better in the garage where its much warmer? (About 90F)
Old 06-20-2011, 09:02 PM   #5 
xMandy

90 is high for a betta.
Best to keep it at 75-80'F. Remember the water will always be cooler than your room temp. Also it drops at night..it'd be best to grab heaters for these two and put thermometers (stick on or inside) to make sure they're not fryin.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:04 PM   #6 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankali View Post
Thank you! I lowered the water level on the worst one, the other has perked back up since the light has been on. Would they do better in the garage where its much warmer? (About 90F)
90F is too warm. Want to be around 78-80 degrees optimum. Aquarium salt works like this: 1 tsp per gallon, mix in a separate container and let dissolve, then change the water in each container, replacing with the salt water. Change the water each day, replacing with more salt water. You can keep them like that for a week or more, or until they show signs of recovering. Poor little guys, that's awful. The water was so green, I thought they were being kept in a Sprite bottle (have a bottle right next me ^_^)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:06 PM   #7 
xMandy

I don't understand why it's green.
Are they doing something new to the water?
Normally its blue and when it's horrid like this it goes brown or dull colored.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:09 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMandy View Post
I don't understand why it's green.
Are they doing something new to the water?
Normally its blue and when it's horrid like this it goes brown or dull colored.
If it was really warm or really well-lit where they were kept, the green algae would form. But yeah, usually it's that sickening blue color through which you can't tell what color or condition the betta is in.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:11 PM   #9 
xMandy

True..
Old 06-20-2011, 09:18 PM   #10 
Ankali

Thanks again! We keep the house about 75, so I'll see if they show signs of improvement before buying a heater (although I hear horror stories about heaters :/)

Would the salt be beneficial to their improvement? They seem quite young, less than half the size of my current male.

And it was definitely algae in their cups. Lots of it.