Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-28-2011, 09:34 AM   #1 
revolutionrocknroll

How to clean a new tank?

I've always used bowls without filtration for my fish and done a 100% water change once a week.
I recently got a 2.5 gallon tank with a filter and I'm wondering how I would clean that?
Also, I have Aquarium salt, but the directions aren't very clear. When should I add it, or do I even have to add it regularly?
Thank you for any information you can give me :)
revolutionrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:49 AM   #2 
Reece

Aquarium salt isn't a necessary thing to have, it is a good thing to have though as if your betta gets something like fin rot it helps out. (not sure why, but I'm sure it does). As for water changes, in my 10 gallon filtered I do a 50% change per week, so I imagine doing a 50% change three times a week is good. And occasionally doing the 100% (not sure if that's needed though). I'm not an expert, this is just an educated guess haha.
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:25 AM   #3 
Smokey65662

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolutionrocknroll View Post
I've always used bowls without filtration for my fish and done a 100% water change once a week.
I recently got a 2.5 gallon tank with a filter and I'm wondering how I would clean that?
Also, I have Aquarium salt, but the directions aren't very clear. When should I add it, or do I even have to add it regularly?
Thank you for any information you can give me :)
Aquarium salt is good to have just in case you need it to help a sick Betta, but don't add it all the time or its effectiveness when you need it is effectively lessened. On a 2.5 Gallon I believe many people in here still say change 100% of the water once a week. Not sure on that, but I would guess they are correct. If thats the case (and you have time) I would prefer a 50% change twice a week to help make the water changes more gradual. Hope this helps :)
Smokey65662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:30 AM   #4 
Reece

Doh phrased it wrong... Meant to say aquarium salt shouldn't always be used, it's better for treatments. Lol. Tired today
Old 09-28-2011, 10:34 AM   #5 
youlovegnats

Don't use the AQ salt unless your fish is sick. It'll devastate their organs and gills with long-term use.

In a 2.5 with filter, clean 50% once a week with gravel vac (clean the gravel and gunk off the bottom).

EDIT: Be sure to add dechlor. if you don't already have that.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:38 AM   #6 
Reece

Are you sure about 50% once a week?? For my 10 gal I've been recommended 50% a week too on this site.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:49 AM   #7 
Smokey65662

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Are you sure about 50% once a week?? For my 10 gal I've been recommended 50% a week too on this site.
I suppose it really depends on your filtration, and how much you feed the fish, etc. You could do 50% once a week and this would probably be just fine. I would recommend you get a test kit to test the ammonia, and nitrites levels. If they are good with the 50% once a week then you should be just fine :)
Smokey65662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:04 AM   #8 
Myates

Just make sure to add in the full amount of dechlorinator each time you do a partial water change. But I agree, 50% substrate cleaning a week, and I'd throw in 50% water only change a week. But otherwise, Smokey is right about testing it. Do a test prior to doing a weekly 50%, such as the day of or day before so you can see. If the ammonia is above .25, then I'd say another 50% a week would be good.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:04 PM   #9 
HatsuneMiku

if it's a brand new tank from the store and you mean how to sterilize it before putting fish in..

i'd first run it under hot water .. probably in a bathtub where u can let the water over flow from the top .. to get all the dust and dirt and visible nasties out .. then i'd make a premix solution of some aq salt 2 table spoons + distilled white vinegar 1/4 cup + the rest water .. in a cup .. and then use a towel or soft cloth diped in that solution and wipe off all the surfaces that people could have touched or sneezed or could have germs .. then rinse the tank again in the tub letting it over flow .. to rinse off the excess salt and vinegar .. then i would leave the tank outside in the sun to dry .. and the uv should kill of any remaining nasties if there were any in the tank

after that it should be good to go .. as for maintenance and w/c i would do 1 50% (w/protein removal .. the top layer of protein that will usually be on top of unfiltered tanks)... and 1 100%(w/gravel siphon) each week .. the smaller the tank .. the more w/c you have to do ..

2.5g's filtered won't hold a complete cycle.. so even with a filter put in .. you will still have to do 50% (w/ gravel siphon) once a week .. and 80% once a month

with 1g bowls .. should have been doing 100% w/c every 2-3 days

i would not recommend using aq salt on a regular basis .. it should only be used as treatment when fish are sick .. since bacteria can grow resistant to the salt

Last edited by HatsuneMiku; 09-28-2011 at 01:09 PM.
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:01 PM   #10 
revolutionrocknroll

Ok, I probably sound stupid, but what I'm wondering is what a 50% water change means. I'd take out half the water, and then put in that amount of clean, conditioned water?
What would I put the clean water in while I'm waiting for it to be ready?
revolutionrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote