Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2011, 04:48 PM   #11 
PewPewPew

Very nice! I second the root tabs idea. No salt unless the plants are removed, too, they'll die!

I havent seen that weird little plant, but its cute. If you begin to see it die/lose leaves, remove it but dont throw it out. Same for the other plants, as lots of plants lose their leaves at first because theyre not used to the tank- but they grow back in time.

Nice job! :D

Whats the Api "stuff" called?

I'd advise you to get a fertilizer that has more than just iron in it, to help give the best nutrients possible. Iron is good though!

Keep your lights on for at least 5 hours for a few days- eventually knock that up to 7, then 8, then 10-- And over the course of a few weeks, if you can, try getting it to 12hrs. I see best growth with 12. Lights off for bed time, though ;D
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:41 PM   #12 
n3wport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
Very nice! I second the root tabs idea. No salt unless the plants are removed, too, they'll die!

I havent seen that weird little plant, but its cute. If you begin to see it die/lose leaves, remove it but dont throw it out. Same for the other plants, as lots of plants lose their leaves at first because theyre not used to the tank- but they grow back in time.

Nice job! :D

Whats the Api "stuff" called?

I'd advise you to get a fertilizer that has more than just iron in it, to help give the best nutrients possible. Iron is good though!

Keep your lights on for at least 5 hours for a few days- eventually knock that up to 7, then 8, then 10-- And over the course of a few weeks, if you can, try getting it to 12hrs. I see best growth with 12. Lights off for bed time, though ;D
What about sunlight? The tank is near my window and its is usually bright. The light is on sometimes, its just so hot in my room I dont want my tank to exceed the steady 80 its always at -__-.
The API stuff is called "Leaf Zone"
n3wport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:45 AM   #13 
Wyvern

The weird plant is called CRYPTOCORYNE PARVA (i suspect) I thought it might be a sword of some kind but the leaves look to thick.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:13 PM   #14 
PewPewPew

Mehh, I dunno if it is! Kinda looks it, though.. Its leaves are so bulbus... It almost looks bacopa-ey. Goodness knows what it is though D; I dont think its a sword..

And yeah- that should be ok, just eb careful. You might see algae spring up if there's too much light. If you're nervous about heat (for future), as I usually am in the summer, I put a little tiny fan on low to breeze over the tank (propped open slightly a the lid) and slightly blowing on the filter :<

It can usually drop the temp 2-6'F (yeah, be careful lol!)

AND HAY. I got all tripped up by your new profile picture, Im not used to you having one. Cute dog, though :D
Old 06-22-2011, 10:39 PM   #15 
n3wport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
Mehh, I dunno if it is! Kinda looks it, though.. Its leaves are so bulbus... It almost looks bacopa-ey. Goodness knows what it is though D; I dont think its a sword..

And yeah- that should be ok, just eb careful. You might see algae spring up if there's too much light. If you're nervous about heat (for future), as I usually am in the summer, I put a little tiny fan on low to breeze over the tank (propped open slightly a the lid) and slightly blowing on the filter :<

It can usually drop the temp 2-6'F (yeah, be careful lol!)

AND HAY. I got all tripped up by your new profile picture, Im not used to you having one. Cute dog, though :D
Thankya! His name is Oopie. He's a good doggie. I was going to maybe make it a picture of myself but it seems weird in my opinion. Some other people have that on here but I dont think I should haha.

Why do I take dying / leaf loosing plants out?
n3wport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:46 PM   #16 
PewPewPew

Just so they wont foul the tank. Dead leaves rot and disintegrate (which get hard to clean up sometimes, blegh!) so if you see one dying, move it into another place (heck, a QT works, a bowl, whatever), just in case it isnt actually dying and is just shedding leaves. If its just a few, its ok.

Remove the dead/shed leaves from that qt and add in the water change water you get from your big tank to keep them happy and have a food source. If the leaves stop shedding, put it back in.

Plants that werent grown fully underwater will do this because theyre adjusting to the new way of living, as well as just because its a new place to live :D

Hygros do this like mad. Which is why I got mad and chucked mine, though I regret it -__- Swords might, too- once you see a dead/dying leaf on a sword, take it off at the base with your nails, like theyre clippers. Once dead, theyre dead. They grow back, though, no worries. Also, try and keep that little ball above the roots slliigghhttllyy above the gravel to keep swords happy. (Called the "crown")