Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2011, 09:57 PM   #1 
inkrealm

[ not emergency ] Spock's Fin Won't Freaking Heal? <T^T>

NOT AN EMERGENCY.
it's not getting any worse that I can tell, no fin rot, but I don't want it to start.
when I first brought him home he tore his fin on a plant, it was healing up great and there was one tiny triangle left that just wouldn't go,
and then the tank cycled and he was doing well and the water got a bit low and next thing I knew it was back DX
I think because there was still a triangle either he tore it again ( I removed the original culprit, and since removed his favorite plant even though it seemed safe just in case), or, when the water got low the current picked up and tore it back. there's hardly any current now, I'm doing 50 changes every few days, I'mma do one tomorrow. and I poke through the gravel for debris and waste. I make sure he eats his food, and he eats it happily, though a little slow because he doesn't see it at first ( he comes right to the front of the glass and refuses to look behind him )

I'll check the levels again tomorrow but they should be fine.
no stress streaks,
I tried feeding him some freeze dried bloodworms hoping the extra nutrition would help but no luck, and stopped again because they're harder to digest and I don't like to use them on a regular basis.
not getting worse, just not getting better either :/ no idea why.. I did add salt the first time when it healed, which I didn't do this time, could that be it? but I have plants so I can't do that a ton, anything else I could use instead or should I just make the plants suck it up for a day? they did okay last time. thankyou D:

Last edited by inkrealm; 06-20-2011 at 09:59 PM.
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:15 AM   #2 
Nexangelus

You know, bettas fins can really take a long time to heal. I currently have one going on 2-3 months now in pristine conditions whose fin has yet to mend. Appears every time it starts to heal, it decays back. My theory is that the rot isn't always completely eliminated and that it can be present in such a low amount that the fins literally won't heal.

Are there any changes in coloration on the fin?
Nexangelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #3 
inkrealm

Nexangelus- well the thing is he still hasn't gotten all his color back from the pet store yet I don't think, although he may just be steel rather than blue x-x; so it's hard to tell. he had gotten some bright almost sky blue on the very edges, and I think it's still there, maybe a little washed back out but not getting worse and no black I can see.
the fins were thickening up but I think they fell back a bit,
and he has some more red in his fins, but he's a VT so red is common and I don't think it's a bad sign, he doesn't act upset.
it hasn't gotten any brighter recently though. he was healing really well and then it just stopped. it hasn't reversed any more but it's come to a stand still.

Last edited by inkrealm; 06-21-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:17 PM   #4 
Nexangelus

You just described my situation to the T. It's quite strange, really. The fins aren't rotting, but they do not grow and occasionally wear down. I can't seem to find any literature about it, either.

Mine started out with a light line of red in it's fin, too. Now, a good 3/4 of it's anal fin is a blood red color. Is yours restricted to a specific fin as well? Only seems to affect my betta's dorsal fin.

Oh and waaaaay off-topic, but you think of absolutely fabulous names for your bettas.
Nexangelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:28 PM   #5 
DarkMoon17

Fighting fin rot can get really frustrating :/
The best things you can do to help him regrow his fins are:
1) Keep his tank extra clean, don't skip any water changes
2) Keep his water warm to boost his immune system
3) Feed him high protein foods (FROZEN, not freeze dried). When my fish need to regrow tissue I feed them frozen glassworms as they have the highest protein content of any widely available frozen foods. I suggust feeding pellets in the AM and frozen foods in the PM.
4) Use Stress Coat or Kordon's Fish Protector to provide enzymes necessary for fin regrowth.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:15 PM   #6 
inkrealm

ugh. sounds like T^T
he was almost black when I got him home so I couldn't see the red at first, which means if there was any potential-tearing red marks I probably couldn't have seen them either, so I can't concur on that, though I am watching...
the first time it ripped was over-night, so I didn't get to check it out till the morning when I saw it. I added in the salt that evening if I remember right, or else the next day, because he'd already looked wilted and I was really worried. it healed quick after that, clear at first like people say it tends to, all except for that stupid little triangle. it was a little discolored, darker I think, but I just figured it was sortof like a scar, same way our skin discolors after a cut..
after I started using tap water was when the really pretty sky color started at the edges, almost immediately as soon as I added it in. and he kept doing great for awhile.

if you want compare it;
most of the red on mine seems natural, typical pattern on common blue VT's, he's still steal colored though and the blue's died down a tad <T^T>
it's dark now and I don't wanna wake him, but I remember the red bits like this:
according to this diagram,
it started on his ventral fins, like overnight, BAM next morning HUGE red streak, freaked the hell out of me because I thought it was bleeding D: then some vague red on his gills, but not the burns, he's got one or two thin lines on them that sortof outline the shape of the gill, reddish brown, behind his eye-- people say this is a common marking and as long as it's not accompanied by illness symptoms it should be fine.
there were some faint tinges of red starting to come out on his anal fin, ironically enough these actually became more obvious AFTER the wilting started coming back, but don't appear to be burns or anything;
there may be some on his dorsal fin and tail, I think I remembered noticing a few tinges in the tail when he gets where there's light behind him, and I can't remember the dorsal, which he's been drooping again lately. :/
they're still really hard to see.

what base color is your guy's? it may be natural coloring... strange the rip started as a red streak though, >.<

and haha, my mom was actually teasing me for them >< thankyou ^-^;
the awful part of coming up with names is that you're then stuck absolutely dying to find the fish that go to them ><

-------x-------
DarkMoon-
yeah, I might try doing daily 50's for a bit and see if it helps, since the cycle bacteria aren't in the water.
the heater is pre-set so I don't think I can heat it up, but when I add in water I'll make sure it's a little warmer so it raises it rather than lowers it, and it's supposed to be a warm week which might help.
I'll see if my pet store has any frozen available, but when I was looking around for feeding options for my frogs I never heard anything of it. ;-;
and I will check on the stress coat, I think maybe the little bit caused by the salt last time was what helped it a bit; and stress coat alone should be okay for the plants I think...

thankyou for the tips, I hope they'll help him and Nexangelus's fish heal up soon >-^
he doesn't seem bugged by it but it would give me peace of mind and I'd really love to see his colors...
Old 06-22-2011, 08:36 AM   #7 
DarkMoon17

Can you get a pic of him for us? Severe red streaking can be a symptom of Hemorrhagic Septicemia... The way you described it has be concerned but if his behavior hasn't changed then the red might be stress or water related. Some fish will get red tints if there are too many metals in the water (irritates their skin) or if the ammonia/nitrites happen to peak.

Petsmart and Petco both carry a wide selection of frozen foods. Most lfs have a freezer somewhere in the store. Glassworms would be best but frozen bloodworms would work just as well if there aren't any glassworms.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:05 PM   #8 
inkrealm

DarkMoon- they don't look irritated nor does he, and they are common markings on a blue VT.... I will try to get a photo though if you want...
I'll have to try and find the camera and I'll update it,
Old 06-22-2011, 12:23 PM   #9 
DarkMoon17

Oh sorry, I misread that. Red lines on the gill plates are natural. Red streaking on the body or fins would be a problem.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:29 PM   #10 
inkrealm

DarkMoon- oh hahaha, no worries ^-^ I think you read Nexangelus's, they said their fish got a red streak on his fin and then it ripped, DX
mine has red areas not streaks, and like I said, they all stated to be natural areas for a colored-up blue VT to have red in ^-^ the red doesn't seem to show on camera right now anyway, I think he's gotten a bit darker ;^;
I'm going to start doing a daily 50 and see what that does for him.... it's a cycled 5 gal so it doesn't need that often but for a bit while I'm here all day anyway that might do him some good.... I want his healing process to get going up again, D: