Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2011, 06:47 AM   #11 
BlueEyedBettaBoy

Just like I won't buy from pet stores that sell puppies. Why give them the money and extra space? You can't rescue every replacement.
BlueEyedBettaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:43 AM   #12 
Tikibirds

For bettas - I tend to go for the ones that need TLC as long as they aren't on their last legs, er, fins. They have to be responsive when i pick up their little cups. I don't mind ones with fin rot, ammonia burns or missing tails but I don't want to mess around with actual fish diseases like ich, dropsey or velvet.

Quote:
If you stop buying the sick ones and let them die at walmart maybe they will learn that neglected fish dont sell but with you all supporting these people it will never happen.
Since walmart sells plenty of high ticket items, i doubt it would even show in their profit margin weather we rescue their fish or not. why should I let a betta that has a chance at recovery (not talking one thats at death's door) with fin rot stay there and probably die because no one else wants a fish with no fins, when I know how to treat it??

That being said, I would LOVE to have one that has PRETTY fins, in a pretty pattern, just once. Although I don't dare order one from thailand, i'd be upset if it was DOA :(

Last edited by Tikibirds; 06-21-2011 at 07:47 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:51 AM   #13 
BlueEyedBettaBoy

i don't see bettas in walmarts around here anymore.. probably because nobody bought them. we have petcos and petsmarts EVERYWHERE.
BlueEyedBettaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:17 AM   #14 
Littlebittyfish

I always go in to get a healthy betta...but then I feel like the sick one is staring at me with pitiful little fish eyes..haha so I end up taking the sick one home..
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:30 AM   #15 
Wyvern

I guess I am lucky in that aspect. We do not have walmarts or petsmarts and so forth. Only small local shops that either sell something of everything (my second fav fish shop is like that - from hay for horses to birds and fish). My favourite shop actually specilizes in marine fish, but keep tropical fish. And thanks to my addiction they are sourcing more and more Betta's but never more than 5 at a time, that they keep either in their own tanks or mixed with other fish that ignores the betta's.

So far they have had only one sick betta that arrived that way and they told the breeder - never again. They do sell their Betta's for a slightly higher price, but I have to admit my blue boy that I got from them is the apple of my eye.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:18 AM   #16 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyedBettaBoy View Post
Just like I won't buy from pet stores that sell puppies. Why give them the money and extra space? You can't rescue every replacement.
Thank goodness they've really cracked down on that. I hated seeing them in glass cages just like the hamsters, I'd just about cry. Puppies shouldn't be in glass cages!

Per your other post - one of the posters actually gathered up the cups of dead bettas at her Petco and showed them to management. Apparently there were about five or six. But nothing changed. So even if we don't buy the sick ones and they die, it doesn't seem to matter if the management of the store is really irresponsible to begin with.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #17 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyedBettaBoy View Post
I probably would be more likely to buy the healthy ones. If you stop buying the sick ones and let them die at walmart maybe they will learn that neglected fish dont sell but with you all supporting these people it will never happen.
That is the EXACT reason I always purchase healthy fish! While it is very nice of you to buy sick/sickly fish, it just encourages bad betta/fish keeping in stores, IMO.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:47 PM   #18 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
I haven't encountered any of the super sick, super sad bettas that some of you have seen. Even though the water is grimy sometimes and the fins are a little ragged, none of the ones I've seen have been on their last little fins so it's never been much of an issue. But if I did see one like that, I would break down and buy it if only so it could pass in clean water, like Bettawolf said. Bettas aren't very expensive and it's worth $5 to give a suffering betta a peaceful and dignified end. Otherwise, I look at their color first so I can get a variety. Even so, I've ended up with three red girls, although the third girl was a beautiful baby blue in the store. Now she's red! Why are they all red????
Well, at least they're all one color now, lol... :)
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:49 PM   #19 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
So even if we don't buy the sick ones and they die, it doesn't seem to matter if the management of the store is really irresponsible to begin with.
Write the corporate office. THEY'LL care!
Old 06-21-2011, 08:55 PM   #20 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Now that I'm more comfortable in the hobby, I only want to deal with other hobbyist that I know who care for and raise quality fish.

This is a little OT, but I am getting the urge to teach others how to be good aquarists... maybe start a club at the library? I'd really like to teach kids about 'first' pets... so that they can have a life long appreciation for animals, and they know how to pick (and keep) a healthy first pet.