Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2011, 02:14 PM   #1 
FiShFiShFiShFiSh

Change in breeding behaviour?

My female betta fish was darkening up and had vertical bars all down her body, and her stomach was swelling with eggs. She could see the male through the divider, but when I took the divider out, the female betta fish barred up horizontally and is acting very nervous around the male. Should I take her out, and try again later or with a different female, or should I leave her in a little longer to see if she wants to breed again? Thanks in advance for any advice!
FiShFiShFiShFiSh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:42 PM   #2 
plad556

That bars that she got after u took out the divider means she is stressed. I would put the divider back in until the male has made a bubble nest then let her back out.
Thats just me :)
plad556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:08 PM   #3 
FiShFiShFiShFiSh

Okay thanks :) I already did that, especially because the male was going on a feeding frenzy abuse scene. I have some spawn sisters instead, I think I like them better anyways now. I have bred bettas before, but this has never happened to me, so I just wanted to know what I should do. :) Thanks!
Old 06-21-2011, 03:10 PM   #4 
HD4life

The change in bars can also be scared or excited, my females usually do that once she realizes the male can chase her but they typically change back to breeding bars in a few minutes. If they dont change after 5 minutes or so then yes remove her and wait a little while longer.
HD4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:21 PM   #5 
FiShFiShFiShFiSh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4life View Post
The change in bars can also be scared or excited, my females usually do that once she realizes the male can chase her but they typically change back to breeding bars in a few minutes. If they dont change after 5 minutes or so then yes remove her and wait a little while longer.
Thank you! I think I will try to breed her again, as I looked at her in the tank next to the male and she had vertical bars again.