Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2011, 06:47 PM   #1 
Nexangelus

Woah - Serious problem. Male Stress Line?

My recent rescue betta has been doing well so far, but I just noticed he has a very pronounced single stripe across his side. Sort of like a female, but only one. I've never seen or heard of anything like this and am very concerned....

Nothing too out of the ordinary, really. Only changes today were the addition of Flourish Comprehensive for my plants, a couple of Amanos, who don't seem to bother him in the least, a decent (25ish%) water change and the ingesting of a whole algae wafer, resulting in a bit of bloating.

Levels are all perfect, temperature is stable and the tank is free of any debris from the plants. Any help would be oh-so-greatly appreciated. I really don't want to lose this guy after he's defied all odds and recovered already.

Thank you!
Nexangelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:05 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Dark lines don't always mean stress and not uncommon on males especially really young males....they are a form of communication and camo of sorts.....however, the added overeating can be problematic.....you may have to find a different way to feed the other livestock.......depending on what you are feeding and I assume it the shrimp....and the number of other livestock....you may need to cut back on the algae wafer and/or add it with lights out....Bettas can be such little piggies.....lol.....

If he start to become symptomatic to the overeating.....I would hold all food added to the tank for 2-3 days and see if it resolves...if not or he start to have buoyancy problems or become lethargic...QT and start Epsom salt(Not aquarium salt) 2tsp/gal, tannins along with 100% daily water changes in the QT container....

Keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #3 
Nexangelus

Sorry I wasn't clear on the lines. I wasn't implying they were from stress, I more meant they were similar to female "Stress Lines". It was the closest comparison I could make.

Normally, I don't feed my bottom feeders individually. I had noted my tank was sparkly clean and algae-free, so I threw in a single wafer to see if it would suffice for the amanos. They showed no interest and the betta gobbled it before I could remove it. Won't be attempting that again anytime in the near future.

I'm definitely new to food related problems. Never overfed a betta, thus have never encountered any problems needing these types of medications. Epsom salt - I've seen that at drug stores. Why is it more beneficial than the standard aquarium salt?

Tannins is totally over my head. Could you tell me a bit more about that?

Thank you so, so much for your prompt reply. Leviathan definitely appreciates it, as do I.
Nexangelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:29 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) aquarium salt (sodium chloride) two different salt with two different actions...

Tannins-from IAL (Indian almond leaf) or naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf....I use oak leaf from my oak trees...10-12 crushed per gallon in pre-mixed treatment water

The salts and tannins both have antibacterial/fungal properties

Epsom salt has the added benefit that can help with edema/swelling and constipation....it has a laxative effect......

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 06-21-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote