Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2011, 04:35 PM   #1 
tutzone

this has not been a good week for my betta

last week I noticed a huge bump in my bettas stomach. Thought he was backed up so I gave him peas. Now its worse and is stretching him out. And today when I woke up fin rot has taken over 80% of his tail. There was no catching this. He did now have any signs of fin rot last night. How did this spread so fast?
I put him in my emergency ten gallon tank before work. Will he die before I get home? I hope now. I know he is just a fish and I've had a few fish die on me before but I've had my betta for over a year and this just sucks....I also don't even have money for the medicines at my pet store so I've been using salt
tutzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:10 PM   #2 
frogipoi

:( Hopefully he pulls through! It is good you put in the salt though. If he dies, give him a nice funeral. It is never great when a betta dies :(
The bump is probably worms
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:15 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

We need some more information and a pic if you can....

How big was his regular tank he was kept in before you QT in the 10gal..how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, filter, live plants, additives used, appetite, has he ever been sick and or treated in the last 30 days...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:25 PM   #4 
tutzone

He was kept in a 20 gallon tank. The only plants were on a driftwood log and I've had that as long as I've had him. Ill take some pics when I get home. He has not been sick at all ever. He was kept with 3 platties, 3 cory catfish, 7 neon tetras, and a bristlenose pleco. I do about 5 to 8 gallon water changes once a week. But I did notice a couple weeks ago I have these white bugs in my tank. They are all through my gravel. I'm thinking if my betta gets better ill transfer all my fish to the 10 gallon and clean my 20 gallon to get rid of these white insect things.

Water temp was 79 degrees. His appetite has not changed. The fish are fed twice a day at 2pm and 2 am everyday. Like I said very little plants are in the tank but I do have a lot of driftwood. The filter is changed once a month. And when I do water changes I clean the tubes of the filter. And when I change the filter I clean the entire thing.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:38 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Your white bugs are most likely plannaira and harmless...usually due to overfeeding and/or poor vacuuming...give the tank a good vacuuming and increase the water changes to 50% weekly to help control them

In mixed species tanks...sometimes our little piggy Bettas will over eat...lets hope this is the problem...lol....

What I would do until we get a pic...is start him on Epsom salt 2tsp/gal.....place him in a small container that can be floated in a heated tank to maintain a water temp in the 76-77F range

Pre-mix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water...Add Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt) 2tsp/gal and if you have tannins...either IAL or dried oak leaf....add one of these to steep......use this pre-mixed treatment water for 100% daily water changes in the QT for 10-14 days...cover the top of the QT with plastic veggie wrap to retain the heat and humidity for the labyrinth organ

This treatment will also help with fin rot

Hold food for 3 days...then small frequent meals...if you have live food like mosquito larva...use this and not processed food....

Good luck and keep us posted.....look forward to the pic....this will help....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 06-21-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:40 PM   #6 
tutzone

Didn't realise I had a pic of his bump on my phone. And those are the plants on the driftwood behind him. He's always been a little discolered since I got him over a year ago. But I hope you can see the bump. Ill get some pics of it tonight along with his fin rot
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2011, 08:33 PM   #7 
tutzone

I can not believe how bad this has gotten. I won't be home for 2 more hours and my fiancee sent me this pick. Its gotten so bad since I left for work.
Attached Images