Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2011, 08:23 AM   #1 
Pleione

Film around top fin?

I'm a little concerned with my betta fish. It was bought for me as a present from Walmart. Originally, I kept the fish in a tiny half gallon, but after doing a tremendous amount of research, I upgraded to a 2.5 gallon and got a heater. I still don't have a filter yet but I intend to purchase one in the near future. That or a bigger tank ( 5 gallon ).

He seems happy and very energetic, but this morning I noticed that around the top of his fin is this circle of what looks like film. It's only around his top fin and seems to create a tiny half circle just around there. I'm looking at all the diseases and can't seem to figure out what it is. Do I need to change the water even thought it's been a few days since he's received his new tank?

Any help will be great!
Pleione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:06 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum....need some more information...

How much and how often are the water changes, water temp, live plants, additives used, appetite and how long have you had him...

Can you post a pic.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:17 PM   #3 
Pleione

Recently acquired as of two weeks ago. Spent one and a half week in a half gallon tank then was upgraded to a 2.5 as of Wednesday. As I said previously, I acquired his newest tank just recently so there hasn't been much water changing. So the water changes has only been twice thus far if you count his old and new tank. He water temperature is 80-85 degrees because he has a heater as stated. No live plants, no additives, and his appetite is pretty basic but right now I'm fasting him due to overeating.

Unfortunately I am unable to provide a clear picture as I don't have a camera that can product good quality results. All I have is a phone camera and it doesn't take very clear pictures. Tried. Comes out blurry.

Last edited by Pleione; 06-18-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:37 PM   #4 
Pleione

It looks like excess slime coat but I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:12 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

That would be my first thought too....excessive slim coat is usually due to some type of irritant related to water quality, parasites, injury....

You don't use additives so I assume you are on well water...correct.....
Have you tested the source water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, KH/GH

The reason I ask for more detailed information and numbers and amount is so we don't have to assume.....

What I understand...2 weeks ago you got the Betta and was kept in a half gallon for 10-11 days.... then moved to a 2.5gal that he is currently in for the past 3-4 days..... over the past 2 weeks he has had 2 water changes...correct...water temp 80-85F...no live plants, no additives, no filter...fasting due to overeating, behavior- no changes and active....so far all correct.....

To help you we need-how much water was changed and last water change, source water information and if you don't have water testing products...don't worry about it......you can still take proper care of the Betta, however it can help rule out some things so we don't have to guess.....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 06-18-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:37 PM   #6 
Pleione

I apologize for the limited information I provided. I'll be more thourough in the future.

But it seems that I figured out the problem myself after doing some further research. Apparently, the heater was the root of the problem. Either the thermometer I got is inaccurate or he doesnt like his water to be around 85 degrees, once I unplugged it and the water went back to its original temperture ( 75-80 ) he was back to normal again.

It's just I figured he needed a heater since everyone said it was important to have one. I guess in my case it's only necessary if the room is too cold. So not until winter.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:08 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Awesome...good that you figured out the cause and so true...you don't always need a heater, however, its a good idea to have one on hand.....my Bettas do fine at lower range of normal...but with some of my older Bettas they tend to like it at the mid to higher range of normal...

Look forward to hearing more about your Betta and we would love to see pics....we like pics around here...lol......
Old 06-21-2011, 03:10 PM   #8 
Pleione

I managed to get some decent quality pictures from my phone so I hope to have some up by this week!