Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2011, 09:40 PM   #1 
sausj

betta hasnt eaten in 10 days!!!

I got my little fishie Domino about 10 days ago and he hasn't eaten ever since! I've tried pellets, flakes, and brine shrimp and he has only eaten one flake ever since! Despite not having eaten, he's been acting perfectly fine and swimming around and showing off his fins. He even made a bubble nest at one point! There was a point in time though, where he seemed quite mopey, but after a 50% water change he was back to his normal self, but still not eating. He doesn't have a filter or a heater yet but I will get one this thursday and he lives in a 2.75 gallon tank. I heard that it takes some fish a while to feel safe in their new homes, but on his fourth day with me, I accidently gave him some temperature shock after cleaning his tank so maybe thats why he hasn't felt safe yet? or maybe the water is too cold? If it helps, he also hasn't pooped ever since I got him. What is wrong with my fishie??
sausj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:00 PM   #2 
gkFins

well, I'm not an expert on this stuff, but he might just be a really picky eater. try giving him pellets soaked in garlic juice. when you get the heater and filter on thursday set the heater up to 78-80 degrees F(you probably already knew that). the reason he's not pooping is probably because he hasn't gotten any food in his body yet, thus there's nothing to poop. sorry if this wasn't the most helpful comment, but good luck with your betta! :)
gkFins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:05 PM   #3 
Jessabell

When I first got my fish Sozin, He didn't eat for literaly two weeks. I tried every type of food lol. Even the garlic thing. In my opinion, it just takes time. When I tried to get him to eat flakes, he ate them but then spit them out. But then all of a sudden, he'd keep them down. Now he ONLY eats flakes lol. He won't eat anything except goldfish flakes, which does a HORROR on my tank lol. But at least he's eating >.< Just give it time lol. It will happen.
Jessabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:31 PM   #4 
sausj

Haha thanks guys! I was just worried because this is the longest one of my bettas have refused to eat. I guess he's just not ready to eat yet then.
sausj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:20 AM   #5 
Sakura8

If he's not sick, then he'll eat when he gets hungry enough. He's a betta, ultimately they live to eat. But if it's goes on longer than two weeks, something else could be wrong.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:19 AM   #6 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessabell View Post
When I first got my fish Sozin, He didn't eat for literaly two weeks. I tried every type of food lol. Even the garlic thing. In my opinion, it just takes time. When I tried to get him to eat flakes, he ate them but then spit them out. But then all of a sudden, he'd keep them down. Now he ONLY eats flakes lol. He won't eat anything except goldfish flakes, which does a HORROR on my tank lol. But at least he's eating >.< Just give it time lol. It will happen.
lol, you sure you have a goldfish rather than a betta? mine eats anything flakes, pellets and frozen. it'll probably also go for freeze dried if i ever bothered to buy it. funny thing is its so agressive when eating the main meal (pellets and flakes) and rather calm for the brineshrimp/worms that come once a week .
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:44 AM   #7 
Ashleigh

Don't worry, he sounds like he's doing fine. My new betta has hardly eaten since I got her either. Unless he's sick, he should start eating pretty soon, just be patient :)
Ashleigh is offline   Reply With Quote