Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2011, 10:37 PM   #1 
limeslide

How do I feed female betta sororities??

Hello! I was contemplating building a betta sorority out of either a 10g inside or a container pond outdoors, and I was wondering how do you feed sororities? Do you have to feed the alpha female in a separate place and the rest in another, or the lowest ones in the pecking order away from the higher girls? How do you feed your sororities? Is there any things I need to watch out?

...The last thing I need is a political institution in the sorority about whom gets the food, and then a civil war between the classes! LOL!
limeslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:01 PM   #2 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

I just open the tank lid and sprinkle the food in! :)

As soon as I turn the light on, the sorority girls turn into a big ball of hungry fishyness! There is no feeding each one separately.

That being said...

If you have a fish that is a mega piggy, you can net her until the rest of the fish have eaten, and let her finish the leftovers. Conversely, if you have a fish you need to plump up, you can put her in a separate floating container in the sorority and feed her a special diet.

Thunderloon once suggested to make a game out of feeding time, tossing each pellet in and keeping track of how many each ate. That works as long as you don't have so many girls you can't keep track!

You will find the best way to feed your girls... just be careful not to overfeed them. You'll just increase their chances of getting bloated, and pollute the tank with decomposing food. Yuk!
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:30 PM   #3 
limeslide

Ah, no strict feeding? Placing food on all sides of the tank? That's relieving. :P

Thanks for the tips! I will be sure to watch out for piggies and bonies. :P I'm just scared of one fish getting less food than the others due to it's low status in the sorority's pecking order. :(
The game sounds neat! I'll probably be too lazy to try it though. XD

:)
limeslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:36 AM   #4 
tsoto80

I usully just spread the pellets out so they all can eat seperate (never works but I still do it lol) sometimes I do put a few in at a time to make sure they all eat thankfully they eat flakes so I sometimes skip the pellets (I also have platies in with them)
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:00 PM   #5 
Lion Mom

Sprinkle the food across the top of the tank - like you would in a community tank. the Alpha female can't be everywhere at once! :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:10 PM   #6 
xswornxoffxjello

My girls were all pretty domineering, so I captured them one by one and fed them in a net. You might not have to do that, depending on the level of aggression, but if you have some problems you might try that. :)
xswornxoffxjello is offline   Reply With Quote