Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2011, 05:41 PM   #1 
hmboyz

Indian almond leaf turns clear water to brown

hello, i cut my indian almond leaf to half. from 5 inches to 2.5 inches and I have a 5g tank. my clear water turned to brown. is that ok? and when should I change the water?
hmboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:00 PM   #2 
PitGurl

Yes it's ok it's just the tannins being released from the leaf. It's good for your betta. Is your tank cycled?
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:04 PM   #3 
hmboyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitGurl View Post
Yes it's ok it's just the tannins being released from the leaf. It's good for your betta. Is your tank cycled?
yup. it's cycled. I have the marineland hex 5g tank.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:05 PM   #4 
hmboyz

I forgot to say thank you... :)
Old 06-22-2011, 06:07 PM   #5 
fightergirl2710

Yeah its supposed to make your water brown, that means its working XD... You didn't need to cut the leaf though, you could have just put in the entire thing. Change the water as you would regularly and the leaf every fortnight but many people leave it for longer.
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:15 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

That is what you want and what the Betta likes....the longer it steeps the more tannins will be released the darker the water....however, make sure you have the replacement water for water changes tanned with the IAL too...especially with 100% water changes...with partials its a good idea too....but not as critical...depending on the amount of tannins and pH changes......

Fresh active carbon will remove the tannins and so if you are using carbon in the filter you may want to take that out.....

Are you using the IAL for treatment or to keep your Betta in tanned water.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:18 PM   #7 
hmboyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
That is what you want and what the Betta likes....the longer it steeps the more tannins will be released the darker the water....however, make sure you have the replacement water for water changes tanned with the IAL too...especially with 100% water changes...with partials its a good idea too....but not as critical...depending on the amount of tannins and pH changes......

Fresh active carbon will remove the tannins and so if you are using carbon in the filter you may want to take that out.....

Are you using the IAL for treatment or to keep your Betta in tanned water.......
I used it coz i heard it's good for them. thank you for the tip.