Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2011, 05:17 PM   #51 
Larkspur

Oh, why not?
They seem to get along fine, they've been together for about a year now and I haven't seen any problems... :/ maybe I'm just missing it tho! Who doesn't like who? Do bettas bully goldfish or do goldfish bully bettas?!
Larkspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:22 PM   #52 
fishman12

Dunno but it is strongly advised against.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:24 PM   #53 
Tisia

goldfish are cold water fish and need lower temps, bettas are tropical and need about 76-82 degree temps. goldfish also get really big and are really messy fish which means they create a lot of ammonia, depending on goldfish type they need about 20 gallons for just 1, plus an extra 10 gallons for each additional fish, plus heavy filtration because of the amount of waste they produce, and bettas are usually not very fond of much current
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:26 PM   #54 
Larkspur

OH NO! I hope they haven't been terrorizing each other for the whole year!!! I'll just watch really carefully for now...if I see anything I'll move my betta. I'll go do some research on it! D:
Old 06-27-2011, 05:32 PM   #55 
Larkspur

oh.. :/ I have always had my tank heated since there is so much water it's a 29gal and it always seemed so cold My black moor has been in that tank for 3 years and his best friend the gourami died so I decided to get the second gold fish... I have been testing my water bi-monthly and it never seems to be too bad! but I suppose I could just move her anyway just in case
Old 06-27-2011, 05:33 PM   #56 
frogipoi

Aurora's heater lost its top suction cup so now it floats. He loves sitting down on it O.O
Goldfish do need cold water... but I'm not an expert.

Last edited by frogipoi; 06-27-2011 at 05:37 PM.
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:46 PM   #57 
Neil D

@ Larkspur

No, please remove your betta. Your goldfish NEED colder water and your betta NEEDS warm water. In 29G you can have 2 fantail goldfish with EXTRA CRAZY filtration. Goldfish can't really live with any other fish cos of their ammonia by products and their temp requirements. Buy a 5G tank at walmart for 30$ and a heater and make that the bettas home. You can even divide it!Good luck!
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:53 PM   #58 
Larkspur

Yeah I'll do that!... I just bought her from walmart and they are super stupid there so they were like "yeah goldfish and female bettas are fine together" So I had no idea when I put them together!!! I'm so glad that I joined this community!! My poor fishies! I had no idea!!
I have been better about the males they have their own 3gal tanks with heaters and filters.

ALSO Sorry for being off topic!!! D:
Old 06-27-2011, 06:20 PM   #59 
Neil D

Great!! I'm so glad you joined!
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #60 
Luimeril

yeah, goldies need big tanks. o3o i had a common in a 29 gallon with a pleco, but even that was too small for him. Dx he lived an amazing 11 or so years, and would have lived longer if it hadn't been for my dad. >.>;

sometimes, i place things around my betta's tanks. Dante used to stalk the Arceus pokemon figure i have. Caroline loved the paper cranes i made after the Tsunami in Japan. and, Ichi's checking out all the My Little Pony toys i have around his tank. xD
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote