Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2011, 10:23 PM   #1 
LadyAshley

Need Help

I am really thinkin about breeding betta but i wanna make sure i have places for them to go before i do that. Where are some good ideas?
LadyAshley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:42 PM   #2 
bettalover2033

Whoa slow down lol.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I would like to ask a few questions before you do something you are not completely ready for.

First off to answer your question, Some good places would be to some of the members on this forum. Im sure that many people here would like to rehome some for you.

My first question is, do you know how to breed?

Did you do any research on breeding bettas? (or bettas in general?)

What live foods are you planning to feed the fry

Do you have the proper materials for the fry?

Do you have good sized containers to put the males in to separate them when their aggression stage begins?

To breed you need to be able to answer all these questions. Dont worry we are all here to help you to better understand the species way of breeding.

Last edited by bettalover2033; 06-21-2011 at 10:52 PM.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:18 AM   #3 
LadyAshley

I already own three betta so yea i know how too breed, i've done research, i plan on feedin them either live mosquito larva or since there sorta hard to find and get ahold of here microworms or newly hatched brine shrimp and possibly putting a few live plants into the spawning tank, I'm not goin to buy the things needed for breeding until i know that the fry will have homes. I know that betta can have many many young so... if i do decide to breed them i will not breed again until i have sold most if not all of the first babies.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:10 AM   #4 
bettalover2033

Dont take this offensive, but just because you own three bettas does not mean that you know how to breed. What tail types are your bettas?

Do you have separate containers to separate the males when they go through their aggression stage?
Old 06-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum.....

Fish forum are a good place to rehome fry, however, you have shipping that can be costly and deadly if not done right...

Ma and Pa type fish shops will sometimes take home spawned offspring...either for free or store credit....rarely will you get cash....but some do...and depending on the quality of the Bettas...they may either go on a shelf for re-sale or in the cichlid tank to be used as feeders......

You have craigslist, e-bay, aquabid......but unless they are really special to more than just you......or show quality from show lines....you usually do not make much money.....generally you don't break even...especially with one spawn...

But it can be really fun and rewarding rearing your own Bettas from spawn to adults...even if you only do it once for the experience...often it leads the hobbyist to bigger things in the hobby......

Good luck and look forward to hearing more about your spawn attempts and success.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #6 
bettalover2033

Well said OFL.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #7 
LadyAshley

I understand that just because i have three doesn't mean i automatically know how to breed. I have read many forums, articles, websites, and done a lot of research. So i understand what needs to be done when it comes to breeding betta i just need to get the experience. I do have separate containers for the males. i have 2 veiltale betta and one deltatail
Old 06-22-2011, 05:34 PM   #8 
bettalover2033

Which are you planning to breed?
Old 06-22-2011, 05:38 PM   #9 
LadyAshley

not sure... I love the color of my deltatail (Gamma) he's almost pure while with just a little bit of pink through his body and light purple through his tail. So i would probably have to say the deltatail first if i can find a female that i like enough
Old 06-22-2011, 05:39 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Once you have all the supplies and researched...its time for hands on experience...sometimes that is the only way to learn and gain the experience...anything can happen and spawns can be different from spawn to spawn even with the same breeders...you gotta start somewhere.... you can only get so much information from reading....sometimes you gotta do it.......if you feel you are ready....I say go for it......

Look forward to following your spawn log.....be sure and make a new thread so we can follow you.......

Most important...enjoy...it can be really rewarding.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote