Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2011, 11:18 PM   #1 
creativek14

Question Harley :/

I bought 3 new bettas from petland last week (not exactly the best store fishcare wise), but I bought a gorgeous red/silver fan tail betta. He doesnt swim nor does he eat much, i put a pinch of aquarium slat in his tank and one of those vacation pellets so he gets some food into his system, help?

Housing
What size is your tank? small/medium plastic bowl

What temperature is your tank? about 70 (room temp)

Does your tank have a filter? no

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? no, room temp keeps it warm enough

What tank mates does your betta fish live with? he's livin bachelor style

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets (no worms of anykind available near me

How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 pellets twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100% and tthe water is the same temp after as it was before

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? nada
creativek14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:43 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Hi creativek, sorry to hear your new guy isn't doing so well. There are several things you can do to improve his condition.

First, bettas are tropical fish who thrive in warm waters of about 78-80 * farenheit so Harley needs a heater.

Secondly, how many gallons is Harley's bowl? I suspect it is less than 2 gallons and in that case, I'd definitely advise you upgrade his home to a bigger tank of at least 2.5G, 5G being the best. In a bowl as small as Harley's, you need to change 100% of the water every day to keep the ammonia down; ammonia is toxic to him and that's why he's so lethargic and has lost his appetite. If you get a larger tank, you won't have to change the water every day.

And finally, a water conditioner like Seachem Prime or API Stress Coat is absolutely necessary to remove toxic chlorine and heavy metals from the tap water that you use to fill Harley's bowl.

For right now, do a 25% water change today, a 50% change tomorrow, and finally a 100% water change the day after tomorrow. From then on, as long as he's in that bowl, you'll have to do 100% water changes every day or he'll get sick again.
Tomorrow, when you change 50% of his water, add a teaspoon of aquarium salt. And when you start doing 100% changes, continue to add a teaspon of salt for at least five days.

Your guy will probably start eating once he feels better; for now it's best to get him into clean water.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:46 AM   #3 
creativek14

thank you :) and yea we're upgrading all the tanks soon for 7 bettas...
and another thing, my fish wont swallow, 4 out of my 7 bettas, they are literally living off those vacation feeding stones you put in the water and its worrying me...
Old 06-22-2011, 01:43 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Hmm. Those vacation stones tend to do more harm than good. It's possible their mouths are too small. Try crushing the pellets up for them. Or try a very small pellet like New Life Spectrum Small Fish Formula .5mm Sinking Pellets. These pellets are seriously tiny, practically fry food. It works for my girls who all have tiny mouths. Do any of the four eat bloodworms but ignore pellets or do they refuse all food?
Old 06-22-2011, 01:50 AM   #5 
creativek14

Harley wont eat anything, and if he does, he tries to eat it wen i walk away. Usually wen he manages to, he swallows it and after i think he gets it down he spits it back up, sam for Judas. My other two see the food, but cant seem to grab it in their mouths, and i have to break it up with my nail :/
Old 06-22-2011, 02:10 AM   #6 
Sakura8

Sounds like Harley and Judas are still a little shy and just don't want an audience. You can try to feed them their pellets and leave for five or ten minutes. If the pellets are gone when you come back and not on the bottom of the tank, then they've eaten. Another thing to try is to get them Betta Logs. These float so the bettas can be near the surface and they have holes in the top for you to feed them through.

This way they could eat while feeling hidden. Patience may be the key with those two as you bond with them and get them to trust you.

For your other two, it sounds like they need smaller pellets. You can either continue breaking up the bigger pellets with your fingernail for them or find a smaller pellet that they can fit in their mouths. Also try pre-soaking the pellet in tank water so it's really soft and easy for them to bite off a smaller piece rather than having to swallow it whole.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:58 AM   #7 
creativek14

thank you :), the others are eating a bit better now, but harley is just sitting on the bottom of his tank... he is the epitome of lazy and now i'm thinking its just his personality, or he reaaally hates the fact that i bought him -_- he still wont eat now no matter what I do
Old 06-23-2011, 02:06 AM   #8 
Sakura8

How could Harley hate you when you rescued him from Petland? I think Harley may not feel 100% right now. Once you get him a heater so he is in warm water, he will perk up a little more. He might just be a little more sensitive than the other bettas you got which is why he is feeling ill and the others don't seem to be. Also, have you gotten a water conditioner? If not, he could be feeling a bit of chlorine poisoning. Nearly all municipal water sources are treated with chlorine and chloramine to make it sanitary and drinkable for us humans. But those chemicals are toxic to fish which is why we have to use a water conditioner like Seachem Prime to detoxify them. You'll use the water conditioner every time you do a water change but one bottle will last for a long time.

Does he come up to the surface to at all and try to eat or does he just stay there on the bottom and not move at all? If he tries to eat, this is a good sign.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:10 AM   #9 
creativek14

we've upgraded evrything for him first, so he is in a luxury house compared to his old thing, however, he still doesn't come up for food at all, he literally sits on the bottom of the tank with a poker face, I can't even tell that he's alive half the time :/ hence why I'm relying on those pellets to feed him since he is as active and expressive as a rock. Love the lil dude, but he is unreadable
Old 06-23-2011, 02:26 AM   #10 
Sakura8

Hmm. He doesn't eat bloodworms? Well, try taking an eyedropper or a turkey baster and squirting his pellet right in front of his face down on the bottom where he is. What a funny little guy.