Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2011, 03:00 PM   #1 
bahamut285

Fancy Pair

Hello~ This is my first time posting in this section!

First things first...I am not guaranteed to breed this pair due to my own inexperience, etc. I MIGHT, in the future, but it is not very likely. I recently bid and won a Fancy HMDbT, and I want to pick up a potential girlfriend for him.

My first question: Is there a time limit on how old a betta can or cannot breed? Like...fishy menopause?

Second Question: Which girl would be better for him?

This is the Male, a Fancy HMDbT, Skittles:

This is the female that Skittles' breeder recommended, I think they are siblings. The breeder is asking $25 for her:

This is another fancy female that FuulieQ found, I think she's much prettier but you guys are experts. She was listed under HMPK, for $18:

Again just to mention, there's a pretty low chance of me breeding them due to my living arrangements. I might be moving sometime in the next year or so, and I don't want to lug around close to 100+ jars of bettas, plus a 10-20 gallon breeding tank. However, in case I suddenly find stability in my life, I might start reading up and take the challenge of breeding them, which is the reason for my first question, XD.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:04 PM   #2 
bahamut285

Another picture of the second girl because I just love her lipstick, lol!

Old 07-02-2011, 03:19 PM   #3 
Pitluvs

Something you gotta consider is if you breed siblings, chances are you will never correct any flaws in the line. This is ok if both are perfect though.

Second, the breeder's girl looks to be a copper, that would be interesting in the mix!

But the second girl is marble, marble is recessive. So if you breed a marble to non marble, there are smaller chance for marbles. That may mess your pattern up with the offpring (since I believe you want babies like Dad right?) The second is a marble.

Personally, I would go with the second girl. I was offered a female sibling for my new boy and I refused. I picked up another female from another breeder that can correct the flaws in my boy. Being bred to his sister would guarantee those stupid crooked scales lol

No idea on the age though, I am wondering the same thing! It's a horrible time of year to breed Bettas here lol
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:25 PM   #4 
bahamut285

@Pitluvs: Thanks for your thoughts! I actually know absolutely nothing about breeding (hence another reason for the low chance of doing it in the relatively near future), but I understand what you mean about the siblings. I don't really mind too much what the kiddies will look like, I love a good surprise!

I'm actually taking votes for which girl to get, and right now the second girl is winning by landslides, haha
Old 07-02-2011, 03:41 PM   #5 
Pitluvs

You gotta think though, are you prepared to keep 80+ Betta? I know someone locally raised their first spawn, over 80 beautiful pure white Bettas. He's trying to sell the males for $15 with a plant, so the Betta is like $5. haha You gotta keep in mind that if you can't keep them, then you gotta sell/give away and it's better to have whats in demand. Marbles seem to be in demand right now, as well as Coppers so you're pretty safe with both.

I'm new to Bettas myself, but I've been reading and asking breeders like crazy trying to figure out if I can swing a spawn. Right now it's looking good, I have the food ordered but I am unsure of tanks (jarring males and sorority). I'll be up the creek if I have 100+ fry.

Good luck with everything! Where did you get your boy? I got mine on AQ too, holy shipping costs.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #6 
bahamut285

Yeah, I am also concerned about the whole sending 100+ jars with me in case I can't find anybody to sell them to. If I get desperate I could probably wholesale them to a proper LFS that I know takes good care of their betta, but that would be my last choice.

I will definitely have to sit down and think of a lot of logistics way way way before I even THINK about breeding them. I don't want to be irresponsible about the life I helped bring into this world :S

Thanks so much <33 I got him off of AB! And yes the shipping costs are unbelievable...fortunately I am splitting my shipping costs with another member who lives close-by X_X!
Old 07-02-2011, 07:37 PM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Breeding that male to a sibling may give you patterns like him. But if you like surprises, the second female will give you different patterns.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:49 PM   #8 
Pitluvs

bahamut: where is "there"?
Old 07-02-2011, 09:07 PM   #9 
bahamut285

Eh? Where is where?
Old 07-04-2011, 10:45 AM   #10 
Dragonlady

It is easiest to breed betta fish under 1 year of age. Although bettas are capable of spawning their entire life, I consider 6 months old to be a betta's prime breeding age if that helps. Choose the female betta you like best, but neither female pictured has a wider dorsal base that will definitely produce doubletails....if that is your goal.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote