Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2011, 08:57 PM   #1 
Macky3

Questions about Mollies and Guppies...

Hey everyone, I was wondering if Mollies and Guppies really needed a heater? I am asking this because I have a limited amount of outlets, but they would have filters. If my room were to stay around 72-86 degrees would that harm them in any way...? And I was wondering if someone could give me general information on each type of these fish because I dont really know that much about them....
Thanks
Macky3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:11 PM   #2 
xMandy

Mollies and guppies are both tropical fish and need warm water. At night your room temp most likely drops and it doesn't help that your water will already be cooler than the room temp. Maybe you could get a power strip? I'd read up more info than we could give you. Remember just like any animal you should know a lot and research before you get it.
I use to keep guppies and while it's just like keeping any other tropical fish.. You need to know common illnesses to look out for with them.
xMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:46 AM   #3 
LeroyTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMandy View Post
Mollies and guppies are both tropical fish and need warm water. At night your room temp most likely drops and it doesn't help that your water will already be cooler than the room temp. Maybe you could get a power strip? I'd read up more info than we could give you. Remember just like any animal you should know a lot and research before you get it.
I use to keep guppies and while it's just like keeping any other tropical fish.. You need to know common illnesses to look out for with them.

Agree 100%. And, it will probably take longer for you to ask for info on those fish and receive the advice than it would take for you to do a quick google search and find many different sites.

But, yes.... they both need heaters to maintain a stable temperature of about 74 to 80 for mollies, and I don't know about guppies, but would imagine they'd be similar. Your room temperature will always be several degrees warmer than your tank water temp, so a heater is important unless you live in a place that's always pretty warm.
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:59 AM   #4 
sunnydawnie

I had 15 guppies as a child and we never had a heater in the tank. We had those fish for years and even had one fry escape safely to mature to adulthood.
sunnydawnie is offline   Reply With Quote