Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2011, 09:29 AM   #1 
zeeby

Unhappy lethargic with tattered fins

About a week ago, I noticed that my betta, Boo, wasn't being nearly as active as usual but I thought it was just him settling down into his new home. Yesterday though, when I finally got him to flare for me, I was in complete shock when I saw that his long beautiful fins appeared tattered and frayed even. He is in a 5g cycled tank that I do 50% water changes once a week and 80% water changes monthly. I usually keep the temperature around 80 degrees but lately Boo has been hanging around the heater so I bumped it up to 83. I am really concerned and not experienced enough to know what to do, please help.
zeeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:07 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Poor fella...tell me more about the tank...filter, water flow, baffle. substrate, decorations used, type of additives, live plants, any tank mates, how long have you had him in this tank and can you post a pic of both the fin damage and tank....do you have any water pram number you can share....

Appetite and type of food, amount, frequency......about how old is he....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:27 PM   #3 
zeeby

I have a tetra whisper filter, it hasn't been baffled yet but I was planning on using an aquarium sponge to baffle it. There are four fake plants that I've made sure will not catch on his fins and a betta hammock that I check every water change so it won't damage his fins, there is also a fake root that he likes to swim on top of but it also doesn't have any rough edges.

water conditioner: ClorAm-X, plus when I first got him I put an Indian Almond Leaf in his tank because I read it would help him adjust but I removed it after two weeks.

Food: BettaMin Tropical Medley; I feed him twice a day but skip Saturdays

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: between 5 and 10ppm
pH: 8.2

He is about 4 months old.

I cannot get my camera to work for a picture but when compared to my avatar picture, the very tips are beginning to look more like a crown tail than the half-moon that he is and the point where his back meets his dorsal fin looks fuzzy(?) I guess is the best way to describe it.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:40 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Does it look like little chunks taken out....like with tail biting......

Beautiful Betta in your avatar......

With some heavy fin males...the water flow can be a cause and any little thing in the tank can snag the delicate fins causing damage...and oddly enough the space alone can be the cause...the long heavy fins stress when used to swim......kinda like the flag in the wind effect.......space, water flow, items in the tank....one or all if he is not biting.....

I would QT in a 1gal bare bottom container, no filter, nothing but a clean coffee mug and live plants if you have any.....and start Epsom salt 2tsp/gal, tannins from the IAL and daily 50% water changes with 100% weekly...be sure and replace the salt and tannins with the partial water changes....keep him like this for 1 week and see if you can see a change in the fins...if its worse...he may be biting and if you see new growth....something in the tank is causing it....
You may or may not need to add a heater....goal is to keep the water temp at least 76F........

Nutrition...if you have live mosquito larva..feed these 2 times a day...other wise...good varied high protein diet in small frequent meals.....

Good luck and keep us posted......
Old 06-22-2011, 12:43 PM   #5 
zeeby

thank you so much!
Old 06-23-2011, 11:28 AM   #6 
zeeby

Last night, since I was unable to acquire a smaller tank until today, I turned off his filter and added an Indian Almond Leaf tea bag. This morning when I went to feed him, there was a film over the top of the water and foam around the edges, could this be what is causing him to have ragged fins??? I tested the water and the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels are all the same as yesterday.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:36 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

That sounds like normal organics that are always in the tank....the filter keep it broke up so you don't see it....dechlorinator, fish food, oils on hands & in the air, general decomp that goes on in the tank....water changes and you can use a paper towel and lay over the film to remove.