Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2011, 02:42 PM   #1 
Punki

Anyone have a cheap DIY divider idea

Ive been looking around and laot of people use the school binders and the knitting mesh but cant they see each other through that? Im buying a 10 gallon and want to divide it 5-5 for my male and female but i dont want them to be excited about each other 24/7 and my female seems to have a tail that rips quite easily from just a small amount of time flaring at herself so seeing him might totally rip that tail. Im thinking ahead for fall when the weather stops being 100+ and i need a heater. Id also like a filter and a stable cycle so 10 gallon seems perfect. Almost too big, but 5 gallon seems too small for 2 :P Anyways, anyone have success with their own DIY tank divider so the bettas didnt see/ drive each other crazy.
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:08 PM   #2 
Punki

Ive decided what i can do is divide it three ways like..
| 4g |2g| 4g |
I really like ghost shrimp so i was thinking in the middle 2g one i could put the filter/heater some sand, plants on each side and a few ghost shrimp! I need to research more about them to make sure i give them the best conditions and if this will work but im hopeful. That way there will be space, mesh, and plants dividing the male/female and ill get to watch a few ghost shrimp also. I know they can live WITH Bettas sometimes but im afraid both of my bettas are very feisty and they may kill them and id be sad because im sure ill quickly attach to the shrimp as well.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:33 AM   #3 
PewPewPew

To be honest, DIY are about the same price as the pre-fab ones, once you get the silicone to apply them :/ And theyre a bit flimsier...

I recommend doing what I did. I bought a fre-fab kit from Top Fin (PennPlax makes good ones too, sold at petsmart/co, respectively) Theyve got ones for 10 gallon tanks, so I didnt have to mess witht he size of the spines (height-wise). They have little clip things at go under the lid, which is nice and secure- no glue needed.

The inside is clear, though, so I replaced it with that crafting mesh. Use a dark color like black (use two) to make it hard to see. Leave extra at the top (taller than the divider spines) so they cant jump; make it as tall as you can, up to the top of the tank's hood.

Put plants around the divider, if you want. At first, there might be initial flaring, but they get used to eachother...

Btw- bettas can see pretty well even from a foot away. That couple inches might do less than you think lol!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:48 AM   #4 
Punki

lol Well after going to petsmart, seeing 70+ halfdead bettas laying around everywhere and waiting 30 minutes for a fish lady to tell me that they dont carry silicone i was done with that idea anyways XD I still bought some plants to put in the middle, i think i sort of like the idea of having a space full of plants between them. Ive been working on it all evening, slowly but surely. Ty for the advice :)