Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2011, 09:52 PM   #1 
n3wport

Smile my first ten gallon and real plants! yay picturesss

thanks to pewpewpews thread I decided I wanted to try real plants. I hope I did everything right. I use prime + AQ salt with water changes. The tank is cycling with the one fishie and the plants. some guy at the pet store gave me this API iron stuff for the plants. Should I use that? its a liquid. The tank is split in two but I am going to take my time finding my last fish. plus the filter is on that side and its really strong. lemme know what you think (and if something is wrong /dying/ etc)

this is the empty side. I wanted to be cool like everyone else and get a moss ball cause they are so cute. =(

this is booboo fishies side. He had finrot like no other. its finally growing back. His tail litteraly was almost gone to the base of his body. It was horrible

idk how people get good pictures of their fish. I tried

then I added a fake suctioncup plant so he can sleep in it like he did in his old 3g

sorry these pics are kinda pointless just me being artsy hahaha

I dont know what that plant is, the guy at the store gave it to me (with that iron stuff.) He said Crypt something. I hope its not like one of those crazy plants. Its been 3 days and its not dead so maybe I am doing stuff good =P

See that back plant? it kinda brown tinted. I bought it that way tho. Is it going to die? Should I buy some type of snail to eat the dead stuff? arent apple snails too heavey?

Hope you guys like it I read up alot on stuff so bare with me and expect more dumb questions about filters and plants!
n3wport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:56 PM   #2 
n3wport

Maybe I should move this to the picture section =(
Old 06-20-2011, 11:06 PM   #3 
Tisia

it looks really pretty, but salt will generally kill plants :/ you're not really supposed to be using it long term anyways since things can become resistant to it if you use it all the time.
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:48 AM   #4 
smellsfishie

I like it! Where did you get your divider? I like the black mesh.
smellsfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:57 AM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

That is a really nice tank. The water column ferts. should be ok for the stem plants but the rooted plants you have might need a root tab fert. eventually.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #6 
n3wport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisia View Post
it looks really pretty, but salt will generally kill plants :/ you're not really supposed to be using it long term anyways since things can become resistant to it if you use it all the time.
Okay, so I put salt in when I filled up my tank for the first time. Should I hold off on the salt from now on and if my fish have a problem I have an extra 1.5/filter tank and a 3 gallon non filtered tank incase anything happens I have extra gravel too.

thanks guys :)
Old 06-21-2011, 10:46 AM   #7 
n3wport

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellsfishie View Post
I like it! Where did you get your divider? I like the black mesh.
Thanks! I bought the regular tank divider at petsmart, it comes with a really small holed clear plastic sheet, and I went to a craft store and bought a regular sized sheet of crochet mesh and trimed it to fit in the tank using the frame of the orginal tank divider. Then I used some aquarium sealant on the top corners and the bottom to make it a bit more sterdy. I let it dry out for like 3 weeks haha and it looks nice with the black and blue!

There are other colors besides black, but I just chose that cause it matches with the plan I had with the gravel
Old 06-21-2011, 10:50 AM   #8 
fishman12

Very nice!
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #9 
Tisia

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3wport View Post
Okay, so I put salt in when I filled up my tank for the first time. Should I hold off on the salt from now on and if my fish have a problem I have an extra 1.5/filter tank and a 3 gallon non filtered tank incase anything happens I have extra gravel too.

thanks guys :)
yeppers, you can also float the cup they came in (if they came in one) or a small tupperware container in their tank when you need to do treatments. salt treatments you're supposed to do daily 100% changes, so something smaller is a bit less of a pain, lol
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #10 
smellsfishie

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3wport View Post
Thanks! I bought the regular tank divider at petsmart, it comes with a really small holed clear plastic sheet, and I went to a craft store and bought a regular sized sheet of crochet mesh and trimed it to fit in the tank using the frame of the orginal tank divider. Then I used some aquarium sealant on the top corners and the bottom to make it a bit more sterdy. I let it dry out for like 3 weeks haha and it looks nice with the black and blue!

There are other colors besides black, but I just chose that cause it matches with the plan I had with the gravel
Wow, that's crafty! :) Good job.
smellsfishie is offline   Reply With Quote