Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2011, 03:26 PM   #1 
riese98

Exclamation Trouble eating

Help, my betta is haveing trouble eating, he isn't swimming much either. I also haven't cleaned his tank in a week because of snail eggs.

What size is your tank? 0.5 gallon

What temperature is your tank? 80

Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No I don't know what that is.

Is your tank heated? No.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Snail eggs.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? BettaMin flakes.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times a day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? I try a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 80%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? None (just tap water)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? None
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not as active.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 7-8 months ( I got him in december of 2010)
riese98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:04 PM   #2 
DarkMoon17

Quote:
Originally Posted by riese98 View Post
Help, my betta is haveing trouble eating, he isn't swimming much either. I also haven't cleaned his tank in a week because of snail eggs.

What size is your tank? 0.5 gallon
The minimum tank size for a betta is 2.5 gallons. Any tanks under 1.5 gallons require daily 100% water changes to remove toxins that build up and cause illness and death.
What temperature is your tank? 80
How is your tank at 80*F without a heater? Do you have a thermomenter?
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No I don't know what that is.

Is your tank heated? No.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Snail eggs.
Your tank is too small for any companions.
Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? BettaMin flakes.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times a day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? I try a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 80%
You should be performing daily 100% water changes in a 1/2gal tank.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? None (just tap water) Do you use a dechlorinator? Or do you have well water?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? None
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not as active.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 7-8 months ( I got him in december of 2010)
Ok, the biggest thing I see here is that you need a larger tank with more water changes. Your fish is most likely suffering from ammonia poisoning caused by poor water conditions. Immediately perform a 100% water change and continue to do this every day until he is in a larger container. Even a tupperware is a better option. If he does not have a heater, then temperature swings can also result in the problems you are seeing.

I don't know why you are keeping snail eggs in his tank... Snails have a gigantic bioload and should not be kept with bettas in anything less than a 2.5 gal tank. You can leave the snails in the .5gal but take the betta out and get him a larger place to live. He should feel better with daily water changes and a larger tank. Keep us posted!

Last edited by DarkMoon17; 06-22-2011 at 04:09 PM.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:10 PM   #3 
riese98

what about the snail eggs? and the tank is made for bettas it even has a divider.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:13 PM   #4 
Canuck Fins

It may be labelled as a betta tank but it really is too small. A good analogy I've heard on here before is this: you can keep a dog in a closet and it'll live but it won't be happy. However, should you decide you do not want to upgrade, you do need to make daily water changes. If you don't change the water often enough, you're increasing the risk of your fish getting fin rot or other illnesses.

The reason you've been advised against the eggs in with the betta is because we're assuming you mean to have hatched snails. Snails produce a lot of waste. Your fish is already in a tank which will get high ammonia levels quickly.

Good luck!
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:17 PM   #5 
DarkMoon17

Do you want to keep the snails? I would just leave them in there and get your betta a new tank before he dies...

Just becuase a tank is marketed for bettas does not mean it is an adequate home. Petstores sell those in order to make money, they don't do it for the good of the fish. Bettas require at least 2.5 gallons to be healthy. It is comparable to living in a closet. Sure, as long as you get enough food you will survive, but wouldn't you be happier in a house?

My advice to you is get your buddy a nice house. You can get a 2.5+gal tank or Kritter Keeper for around $12 at Walmart or your local fish store. 5 gallon glass aquariums are perfect. The larger the tank, the fewer water changes you have to do. Anything under 1.5 requires daily water changes. Five gallons tanks require one 50% and one 100% water change per week. A 10 gal only requires 30-50% per week.

How are you keeping his current tank warm?
Old 06-22-2011, 04:18 PM   #6 
riese98

well I just don't want to hurt the eggs by cleaning the tank, will it hurt the eggs if I clean the tank?
Old 06-22-2011, 04:22 PM   #7 
riese98

yes i want to keep the eggs. and the tank was a gift that i just got 2 weeks ago. and i also can't get a big tank were i live, the only way i could get a big tank is if i build it
Old 06-22-2011, 04:27 PM   #8 
DarkMoon17

You don't need a big tank. Do you have any tupperware or large glass vases around the house? Anything larger than what you have? Is there a Walmart near you?

Yes, cleaning the tank could hurt the eggs but IMO the fish is more important?
Old 06-22-2011, 04:29 PM   #9 
riese98

the nearest walmart is about 650 miles away.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:34 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

You need to decide what is more important...the Betta or the snail eggs......you can have both short term, however, unless you improve the conditions for the Betta he will end up being snail food....with that said....you can keep both the Betta and snails eggs successfully short term in the half gallon container provided that you make the needed water changes....since snail eggs are tough and adhere to the tank wall they will be fine even with 100% water changes-just don't scrub the walls and as long as they don't dry out and with common snails this can take a long time...a really long time....

In a half gallon unfiltered tank I would make 50% water changes every day with 100% weekly to maintain water quality....provided that you are not overfeeding and uneaten food is removed within 10-20 min...

Unless you are on well water....you need to be using a dechlorinator with any water added to the tank...for both the Betta and snail eggs......
Some snails can be sensitive to large amounts of salt

You may or may not need a heater...but its a good idea to have one on hand when you get a bigger tank for the Betta...I wouldn't recommend a heater for a half gallon anyway...but you do need a thermometer to monitor the tank water temp and to monitor the replacement water for water changes.....

Bettas are pretty tough and can tolerate a lot, however, when they have compromised immune response due to poor conditions/care....the smallest thing can send them on their way out pretty fast....prevention is the best method from proper care and keeping.....

Look around your house......surely you have another container that you can use that is 1gal...like a pickle jar, brandy snifter...etc......give it a rinse with vinegar to rid it of any soap residue-then rinse well with running water...fill with dechlorinator water and make the needed water changes and enjoy your wet=pet....otherwise you may continue to have problems........
Good luck and keep us posted......

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 06-22-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote