Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2011, 01:52 PM   #1 
Jrf456

Heather's not doing too well.

Hello, I just wanted to say hi first, I'm JRF456, but you can call me Joel. I have six female betta fish in a tank in my bed room. I refresh the water 10% every 5 days, feed them once a day, and give them many nice things in their aquarium.

One of my fish, Heather, an all white betta was acting crazy yesterday. She was laying inside one of the plants, so I lightly took the net and shook around the leaves to see if she was.. still alive. She was, but she went crazy. For about three minutes she swam around the tank in circles, bumping up against objects, twirling around, playfully jumping up and down. But then she sort of stopped. She went down to the bottom of the tank and stayed there just resting. She also swims on her side.. Sort of with her tail bent? So I took a large jar, washed it out well, put some simple aquarium rocks on the bottom and filled it with filtered water and placed her in it. I'm now calling this jar the hospital jar, because I'm trying to keep her alive and healthy.

Online, I've read many posts that say she might either have a bladder disease or be bloated, and every one of them said to starve her for two days and then feed her a frozen pea.. I don't know what to believe.

So please, if you have any ideas, help. If she is just dying, I'll have to live with that too. I just really hope it isn't so because she has been swimming around still a little and has been eating fine.
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:53 PM   #2 
Jrf456

I'm also noticing a sort of brownish-green thing hanging under her near her bottom fins. What's this?
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:01 PM   #3 
fightergirl2710

HI, welcome Joel! Could you put up some pictures of it? It could be a parasite but a picture would help make sure..
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:54 PM   #4 
DarkMoon17

The greenish brown thing sounds like poop... but a pic would help.

If she is having trouble swimming then she probably has SBD. How large is the sorority tank? Is it heated? What do you feed them (brand)?

If it is SBD, then keep her separated and use 1-2tsp/gal Epsom Salt (not aquarium salt, its sold at Walmart).
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote