Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2011, 07:47 PM   #11 
Sakura8

Never mind. I'm 99% sure she has passed now. I will watch her for a half hour more because she did this to me once already (freaked out, flopped down, then revived a few moments later) but I think she is gone.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #12 
DarkMoon17

Oh no! I'm so sorry :( The darting is probably related to organ failure...
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:11 PM   #13 
kathstew

any updates? Is she really gone?
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:18 PM   #14 
MikiMaki

Dropsy is really hard on the kidneys if it's gone on that long with all the secondary infections she probably didn't have a chance. That's so sad. At least she was more comfortable by far then she had been at Wal-Mart.
MikiMaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:27 PM   #15 
metalbetta

Dropsy is a REALLY hard thing to cure, believe me. Most of the time from what I've read and experienced myself, it's fluid build up due to organ failure or an infection that makes them swell up. It's a tough thing to watch too... Good for you for taking her in and making her comfortable for the time she has/had left.
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:01 PM   #16 
Sakura8

Yup, sadly, she's gone. I buried her beneath my weeping cherry tree. It was a short time but I knew when I brought her home that it was a long shot. I wanted to save her but realistically I just wanted her to be able to die in dignity in clean water, not forgotten on a Wal-Mart shelf and tossed in the trash.

I had actually never seen pineconing in person until I saw her, poor thing. It's truly sobering to see those scales stick out so far and to feel them if you touch the fish. I'm sad I couldn't save her but glad that she's at peace now because she had such a hard time breathing near the end. She couldn't rise to breathe even though I lowered the water right to her snout so I lifted her up.

:/ I say again, Wal-Mart shouldn't keep bettas stacked on their shelves like they're cans of soup or something.

Thank you so much, DarkMoon for all your help, especially with the dosing and medication advice. And thank you everyone for your concern for this poor little betta girl, I appreciate it. The people on this forum rock.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:32 AM   #17 
fightergirl2710

Poor thing! Sorry you couldn't save her Sakura but you tried to help her and I'm sure she'll remember you for that ... :)
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:41 AM   #18 
Sakura8

Thanks, fightergirl. She was pretty, too. I just couldn't bear the thought of her dying all forgotten at the back of the shelf. Actually, there were many times on the five minute car ride home that I thought she was going to die. I was surprised she lived as long as she did.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:48 AM   #19 
fightergirl2710

I would have done the same thing, at least you let her have a nice burial and some respect, rather than letting her get tossed out like trash. She really looked like she was suffering in the pictures, she's at peace now :)
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:53 AM   #20 
Sakura8

In a very similar way, you did the same thing with Little Blue Boy, caring for him so he didn't have to pass in a dirty tank with a bunch of other bettas harassing him.