Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2011, 11:03 AM   #31 
frogipoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
One male vet we saw insisted our cat was too fat and that we needed to exercise him. We were like, dude, have you EVER tried to get a cat to exercise? It's impossible short of using a cattle prod and uh, I think that's animal cruelty. Our lovely lady vet whom we see most frequently later discovered the same "fat and lazy" cat had a bone spur at the base of his tail that made moving difficult for him.
O.o Sometimes ! wonder why dudes got caring jobs... XD
But not to be mean to dudes out there. Some of them are good, like my dog's/
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:05 AM   #32 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogipoi View Post
O.O I see male vets a lot.... O.o
But I see women vets more :D
Sorry about the pretty girl you lost. Dropsy is very fatal in later stages :(
I wonder if I should go back to Wal-Mart and see how the other female I saw is doing. She looked like she could be developing some problems and if I can catch it before it hits the later stages, maybe she can be saved . . . she's a deep blue and a huge girl, too. I hope she doesn't beat up my little girls.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:06 AM   #33 
DarkMoon17

I hope I can be more useful in the future. Once they go into organ failure there isn't much that can be done... You can fight the early stages, even once they start pineconning there is still a chance.. But your girl was too far gone. She was lucky to have someone finally take her in.

Agreed, I prefer female vets, the guys envision themselves as some divine hero. It's really frustrating Dx Guys do better with large animal practices though since farmers are more likely to listen to them than a girl. It's all in the mindset...
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:16 AM   #34 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
I hope I can be more useful in the future. Once they go into organ failure there isn't much that can be done... You can fight the early stages, even once they start pineconning there is still a chance.. But your girl was too far gone. She was lucky to have someone finally take her in.

Agreed, I prefer female vets, the guys envision themselves as some divine hero. It's really frustrating Dx Guys do better with large animal practices though since farmers are more likely to listen to them than a girl. It's all in the mindset...
That settles it. I'll go back to Wal-Mart tonight and get her. She wasn't standing on her tail yet like the other girl, so that's a good sign. And she's NOT RED. Hopefully she's a dark enough blue that she won't turn red like my other girls, too.

Farmers are a different breed unto themselves. Both my parents came from farm families, although granted both were crop farmers, not livestock (one rice, the other oranges). But my grandfathers still had interesting notions regarding animals. And then there's our family friend the hay farmer who didn't seem all that upset that coyotes ate the family dog. And several of the farm cats. *shudders*
Old 06-23-2011, 11:17 AM   #35 
fightergirl2710

That's true, most of my Grandmum's patients are women. The men go to guy doctors but send their wives, sisters and daughters to women doctors... Its so hard even to get construction workers working at your own house to listen to you if you're a woman.. But if your boyfriend tells them the same thing they do it pronto! X(
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #36 
fightergirl2710

My dad's dad a farmer too, he has a poultry farm :P He has his own remedies, like pouring phenol into a dog's ear because he had maggots growing in a wound there.. The dog ran away the first time because of the pain, realised it was getting better and came back for the second dose the next day on his own! Got cured :) Or using sulphur in the dog's feed for mange.. That worked too!

Get the girl Sakura! if she's not far gone, she has a chance :)
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:27 AM   #37 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightergirl2710 View Post
My dad's dad a farmer too, he has a poultry farm :P He has his own remedies, like pouring phenol into a dog's ear because he had maggots growing in a wound there.. The dog ran away the first time because of the pain, realised it was getting better and came back for the second dose the next day on his own! Got cured :) Or using sulphur in the dog's feed for mange.. That worked too!

Get the girl Sakura! if she's not far gone, she has a chance :)
Yeah, but sometimes those old remedies work best. Although I wouldn't think to use sulfur . . . interesting.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #38 
DarkMoon17

Actually some vets still use those things... they do work.

Good luck with the new girl! Keep us updated. We'll help however we can :)
Old 06-23-2011, 12:25 PM   #39 
Sakura8

Thanks DarkMoon. I appreciate it.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:37 PM   #40 
DarkMoon17

Anytime :)