Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2011, 08:33 PM   #1 
Lyndis

A few newbie betta questions

Hi all, I'm new here. One day I got it into my head that I wanted a betta and so I started researching their care, and found this site. There's a lot of great info here, but I still have a couple questions that I couldn't find the answers to.

1. I think there may be two bettas at the pet store that I just can't go home without, but I'm not sure I have the space for two separate tanks. Would it work to put them in a plain old 5.5gal glass tank with a divider between? Where would the heater and filter go?

2. When you do a partial change of the tank water, how exactly do you heat the new water? Do you take the fish out, put the water in, wait until it's a suitable temp, then put fish back in? Or do you have a second heater/thermometer for new water?

3. I saw these little seed thingies at Petsmart that claim to "grow in 30 days" after you plant them beneath the gravel. Anyone have any luck/experience with them? Seems like a neat idea but may just be gimmicky.

Thanks for your help! I hope these aren't dumb questions...
Lyndis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:14 PM   #2 
kathstew

Welcome to the forum! Everyone here is super friendly and kind. Also, we love pics, so whenever you get the chance, TAKE THEM AND POST THEM. :D

1. Yes a 5.5 gallon tank is fine for dividing. Max you should divide it is once, so there are 2 compartments. The heater and filter can go on either side of the divider. You can make your own divider ( look here for instructions http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/ ). In my divided 5.5 gallon tank, I have the heater on one side, and I'm planning to put the filter on the other side. If you use the craft mesh (like in the link) the water can flow through the holes in the mesh. You can also buy a divider at the store, but its generally cheaper to make it yourself.

2. I usually take the water out with a siphon. I keep the cups the bettas come in, and stick them in those with water. I put the new conditioned water in the tank. I float the cups in the tank so they can get used to the water. After about 15 minutes or so I let them back in the tank.

3. Sorry, I've never heard of these before. Its probably best to just buy plants that are already grown a bit, saves time.

And these aren't dumb questions at all. I'm impressed with the amount of research you are doing, because so few people will research something as "simple" as a fish. Great job, you are going to be a great fish owner!

Oh, and be warned, bettas are addicting! I started with 2 and within three or four months, I now have 10, my mom and sister each have one (plus platies) AND I have two gouramis!
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:57 PM   #3 
Tisia

the bulbs can be pretty iffy. I got a pack with like 7 in them and 3 of them have sprouted. some people don't have any sprout. I got mine on sale so I figured I did okay, lol
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:15 PM   #4 
Sakura8

To heat the water it's best to use your sink if you can. Use a thermometer to check the temp. If using a sink is impractical, then I guess you can fill a bucket with hose water the night before, dechlorinate, and stick a spare heater in there overnight. I use the sink method but it doesn't work for everyone. Plus it has a few drawbacks. For one, when you draw warm water and lots of it, you tend to get a lot of gas bubbles. There's very, very rare chance it could cause Gas Bubble Disease but mostly, the bubbles are a nuisance. Also, it's easy to overfill a bucket and not be able to lift it up out of the sink. Hose water's main drawback is you have to heat it somehow before putting it in.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:32 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

Remove the hose and just use the spigot, OFL recommends because some hoses have anti fungals in them :<
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:21 PM   #6 
Sakura8

I had no idea. Thanks, Pew.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:27 PM   #7 
frogipoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndis View Post
Hi all, I'm new here. One day I got it into my head that I wanted a betta and so I started researching their care, and found this site. There's a lot of great info here, but I still have a couple questions that I couldn't find the answers to.

1. I think there may be two bettas at the pet store that I just can't go home without, but I'm not sure I have the space for two separate tanks. Would it work to put them in a plain old 5.5gal glass tank with a divider between? Where would the heater and filter go?

2. When you do a partial change of the tank water, how exactly do you heat the new water? Do you take the fish out, put the water in, wait until it's a suitable temp, then put fish back in? Or do you have a second heater/thermometer for new water?

3. I saw these little seed thingies at Petsmart that claim to "grow in 30 days" after you plant them beneath the gravel. Anyone have any luck/experience with them? Seems like a neat idea but may just be gimmicky.

Thanks for your help! I hope these aren't dumb questions...
1. Yes you can divide it! :D I prefer to have one filter and one heater on each side of the divider.

2.Your steps seem fine. That is how I do it!

3. Don't trust them. THey usually don't work unless you are lucky.

Good luck! :D
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:09 PM   #8 
Lyndis

Thanks for the tips! I have pretty much everything now except the fish themselves and the divider (still trying to hunt down the materials Will have to buy Petsmart's if Walmart doesn't have the mesh thingies.) They didn't have the heater I was hoping to get, so I got a Top Fin one instead, only to find out when I got home that it has a 2.5 rating on petsmart.com and apparently can possibly overheat even on the lowest setting (!!!) So uh... I'm going to try and return it tomorrow and get a different one. Hopefully they'll let me, cause even though I didn't use it, I did open it. Here's hoping that dealing with that is relatively quick and painless so I can bring my fishies home!!
Lyndis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:15 PM   #9 
kathstew

Good luck! Petsmart is pretty good with returns, at least thats what I found. I bought tank test strips, used two and then took them back (because they weren't accurate), they didn't have a problem with it at all!
I believe Marina heaters are the best, at least that has been my experience.
The divider mesh is usually in the craft section, where the needle art stuff is (embroidery stuff). Its like $1.00 (usually less) a sheet. It took me a while to find it, but once you find it, its VERY useful!
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:17 PM   #10 
frogipoi

Yes, petsmart is usually good with returns.
Good luck :D
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote