Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2011, 09:13 AM   #21 
DarkMoon17

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyPaige View Post
And once I do these things is it just time until he heals (if he makes it at all)? I will water change again and get the epsum salt. I want to start over. So I should get the salt, the ammonia clear, and what else? Thank you! There are so many products and suggestions out there it confuses me.
Ya, there are a lot of products out there, it can get confusing.
What brand pellet are you feeding? Aside from that, it sounds like the cause could be the freeze dried bloodworms. THey are notorious for causing swim bladder disease (SBD) and should only be given as a treat no more than once per week. If you want to give your boy a treat, buy him frozen bloodworms. They are much better for your betta and don't cause SBD unless you really overfed with them.

I will put this out here again, you do not need to and should not be using Ammonia Clear. All you need to do is change his water. Using chemicals unnecessarily just costs you money and stresses the fish.

All you need is the Epsom Salt and probably a new brand of food, depending on what you are feeding him.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:34 AM   #22 
StacyPaige

His breathing is very labored and he is on the floor breathing hard on his side and I see the dark red of his lungs. I am going to the store now to get the salt and the pellets i feed him are Wardley betta food
StacyPaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:37 AM   #23 
StacyPaige

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
Ya, there are a lot of products out there, it can get confusing.
What brand pellet are you feeding? Aside from that, it sounds like the cause could be the freeze dried bloodworms. THey are notorious for causing swim bladder disease (SBD) and should only be given as a treat no more than once per week. If you want to give your boy a treat, buy him frozen bloodworms. They are much better for your betta and don't cause SBD unless you really overfed with them.

I will put this out here again, you do not need to and should not be using Ammonia Clear. All you need to do is change his water. Using chemicals unnecessarily just costs you money and stresses the fish.

All you need is the Epsom Salt and probably a new brand of food, depending on what you are feeding him.
I am so sad because I don't think I can save him. he's on the ground barely moving and breathing hard. Lesson learned I guess. :( I will never feed those blood worms again. I wish he would get better. His water is changed and at the right temperature and everything was rinsed/washed out.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #24 
DarkMoon17

I'm sorry :(

SBD doesn't usually kill, so you must have something else going on as well... Get the Epsom Salt in there is you can, if nothing else it will make him more comfortable.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #25 
StacyPaige

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
I'm sorry :(

SBD doesn't usually kill, so you must have something else going on as well... Get the Epsom Salt in there is you can, if nothing else it will make him more comfortable.
He isn't dead yet but is floating around on his side having a hard time trying to swim. Perhaps time will heal and he will get better?
Old 06-23-2011, 10:08 AM   #26 
DarkMoon17

I truly hope so. They can really look like they are dead/dying with SBD. You can at least try to treat him, there is the possibility that it is just severe SBD. At the very least you would have some Epsom Salt on hand in the future. It is a great thing to have around.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:09 AM   #27 
frogipoi

Don't trust time... get some espon salt asap. :)
Let me cheer for your betta... (gets cheerleader squad)
Go go go! COme on now! You can do it! Get through SBD! :D YAY!
(cheerleaders leave)
Hopefully your betta will get better!
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:04 PM   #28 
StacyPaige

I got the Epsum salt but it didn't work in time and he is now gone. :( His stomach looks huge so I am assuming it is that bladder condition described earlier. I do not want this happening again in the future so I am not giving them blood worms again. I am sad. :(
Old 06-23-2011, 01:23 PM   #29 
Neil D

I'm so sorry! If you start over a word of advice is not to use AQ salt more than 2 weeks at a time. More than that can cause kidney failure and other problems. AQ salt is great for treatments for the 2 week time frame. AQ salt should be used as 1 tsp per gallon. He could've been sick from the pet store...
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:35 PM   #30 
Betty

I agree with Niel D, it sounds like you might have over fed him but looks can be decieving, the pet shop you got him from could easily be the ones that caused him to be ill when you got him home, you can never know this but what you can know is next time you get a betta/if you get one, try getting it from a different pet shop, and research research research, personally I do not use AS, however it has been proved to help fish and as darkmoon said it is great to know you have something on hand if something goes wrong, I personally do not trust myself at all and seem to have collected a cupboard full of products, chemical ones non chemical ones, all types but the bottom line is you have to be prepared, I'm really sorry you lost him, but it could easily be someone else's fault!What might show you the truth is if you buy a betta from a different pet shop and it survives-that would show that it was more likely the betta you had was just sick, nobody can give you any guarantees in life, the best you can do is make sure you know everything you need to know, if it had happened to me I would be down at the fish shop grilling the guy in charge finding out if the fish had shown any sign off illness before you took it home with you, it has happened to me before with a different fish but I took the fish down to the lfs and absolutely ripped the guy in charge to pieces-what did i do wrong, if i did something wrong was it because of the information supplied, was the information misleading, inadequate?did they do something wrong, was the fish simply ill since birth?was this a problem caused by anyone?or did it happen naturally?you make sure you give the guy at the fish shop a hard time and you can find out everything.really sorry for your loss, and i hope this doesn't stop you wanting to get another fish!!!
Betty is offline   Reply With Quote