Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2011, 01:45 PM   #31 
Neil D

If it was within 10 days I think you can get your $ back. Spend it on another fish and supplies. Not to sound insensitive or anything...
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:10 PM   #32 
StacyPaige

Thank you for your suggestions and kind words, everyone. No I am not scared away from getting another fish but at least this time I am more prepared and have learned more about fish health (and what to look for at stores).
StacyPaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:39 PM   #33 
Neil D

Good for you! It's important to remember that buy getting another betta, your giving another fish a good home.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:47 PM   #34 
StacyPaige

Just to clarify for myself - so before getting this new betta, I am going to clean the tank out (just rinse it with warm water and rinse everything inside) and fill it with water. I live in Chicago and the tap water has heavy chlorine in it (I think) which is why I used the Ammonia Clear. So could someone list what they would do if they were getting a brand new fish? I already have the epsum salt, I have Ammonia clear (but don't need to use it) ... should I just leave the water as is? I know the temp needs to be warmer so I have a water heater and a filter. It's a 6.6 gallon tank. I just want to make sure I do everything right. I swear when I was little I don't ever remember my dad putting water conditioners in the tanks when the water was changed but I could be wrong. Also could someone suggest a very good brand of food to give so I do not cause any bladder issues.

Oh and one more question. Is it possible to get a buddy for this betta? A different fish species perhaps? My brother has a HUGE tank with a bunch of fish and one betta that lives there among the fish and loves it in there. I know my tank is small but maybe just leaving him alone is best?
Thank you!
Old 06-23-2011, 02:52 PM   #35 
Neil D

How many gallons is your tank? Is there a filter, heater and stuff? Yeah just rinse everything with hot water and let it air dry.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:34 PM   #36 
StacyPaige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil D View Post
How many gallons is your tank? Is there a filter, heater and stuff? Yeah just rinse everything with hot water and let it air dry.
Yes I have a heater. I keep it at 79 degrees. I have a filter. I will attach a photo of my tank. 6.6 gallon. Sand on bottom and fake silk plants.
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...6-20210149.jpg
Old 06-23-2011, 03:42 PM   #37 
frogipoi

You can get a snail if you double your water changes :)
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:45 PM   #38 
Neil D

It's a fluval? Umm, snails and shrimp, that's it.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:20 PM   #39 
StacyPaige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil D View Post
It's a fluval? Umm, snails and shrimp, that's it.
Uh oh why can't a beta live in there? :( I thought I read that if it was above a 2.5 and had a heater and filter it was ok?
Old 06-23-2011, 04:24 PM   #40 
DarkMoon17

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyPaige View Post
Just to clarify for myself - so before getting this new betta, I am going to clean the tank out (just rinse it with warm water and rinse everything inside) and fill it with water. I live in Chicago and the tap water has heavy chlorine in it (I think) which is why I used the Ammonia Clear. So could someone list what they would do if they were getting a brand new fish? I already have the epsum salt, I have Ammonia clear (but don't need to use it) ... should I just leave the water as is? I know the temp needs to be warmer so I have a water heater and a filter. It's a 6.6 gallon tank. I just want to make sure I do everything right. I swear when I was little I don't ever remember my dad putting water conditioners in the tanks when the water was changed but I could be wrong. Also could someone suggest a very good brand of food to give so I do not cause any bladder issues.

Oh and one more question. Is it possible to get a buddy for this betta? A different fish species perhaps? My brother has a HUGE tank with a bunch of fish and one betta that lives there among the fish and loves it in there. I know my tank is small but maybe just leaving him alone is best?
Thank you!
Sorry about your boy :(

Ammonia Clear is NOT a dechlorinator. It will not remove chlorine. You need a dechlorinator like Prime, Stress Coat, Aquasafe or a hundred other brands. Just perform water changes and use a dechlorinator. Two 50% water changes per week would keep his water clean.

Good food brands are Omega One Betta Flakes, Atison's Betta pellets, and New Life Spectrum. In the future, feed FROZEN foods as treats or as part of his diet. Do not feed freeze-dried foods.

A 6.6 gal tank could have either 1 snail or 6 shrimp. No other fish.

Last edited by DarkMoon17; 06-23-2011 at 04:29 PM.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote