Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2011, 04:37 PM   #41 
StacyPaige

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
Sorry about your boy :(

Ammonia Clear is NOT a dechlorinator. It will not remove chlorine. You need a dechlorinator like Prime, Stress Coat, Aquasafe or a hundred other brands. Just perform water changes and use a dechlorinator. Two 50% water changes per week would keep his water clean.

Good food brands are Omega One Betta Flakes, Atison's Betta pellets, and New Life Spectrum. In the future, feed FROZEN foods as treats or as part of his diet. Do not feed freeze-dried foods.

A 6.6 gal tank could have either 1 snail or 6 shrimp. No other fish.
Okay thank you. So one betta is okay with 1 snail and 6 shrimp or are you saying I cannot have a beta and can only have 6 shrimp and 1 snail. Sorry confused.
StacyPaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:44 PM   #42 
Neil D

Wait! Sorry, yes you can have a betta. Like mentioned above Ammonia Clear IS NOT a dechlorinator, you need a conditioner like Prime, or Top Fin. Make sure that it treats Chorine, and chloramines. For a 6.6 gallon tank you should do one 50% change per week. Even better would be one 25% water change and one 50% water change with gravel siphon. So you need:

To clean the tank with HOT water
Need conditioner
Need to cycle the tank
Need a heater/baffled filter

Cycle: Just do a fish in-cycle, for the first month do two 50% changes weekly, and keep tabs on the ammonia and nitrite levels. When they both reach 0, then your cycle is complete. This is the most simple method to me, but I would read more, there are more ways to do this.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:46 PM   #43 
StacyPaige

Thank you! :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil D View Post
Wait! Sorry, yes you can have a betta. Like mentioned above Ammonia Clear IS NOT a dechlorinator, you need a conditioner like Prime, or Top Fin. Make sure that it treats Chorine, and chloramines. For a 6.6 gallon tank you should do one 50% change per week. Even better would be one 25% water change and one 50% water change with gravel siphon. So you need:

To clean the tank with HOT water
Need conditioner
Need to cycle the tank
Need a heater/baffled filter

Cycle: Just do a fish in-cycle, for the first month do two 50% changes weekly, and keep tabs on the ammonia and nitrite levels. When they both reach 0, then your cycle is complete. This is the most simple method to me, but I would read more, there are more ways to do this.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:49 PM   #44 
Neil D

Welcome
Old 06-23-2011, 04:59 PM   #45 
DarkMoon17

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyPaige View Post
Okay thank you. So one betta is okay with 1 snail and 6 shrimp or are you saying I cannot have a beta and can only have 6 shrimp and 1 snail. Sorry confused.
You can have 1 betta and 1 snail OR you can have 1 betta and 6 shrimp.

Before you get companions you should cycle it like Neil D said. Just get the betta and do two 50% water changes per week until the ammonia and nitrites are 0. THEN you can add a snail OR 6 shrimp. Not both.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:02 PM   #46 
Neil D

That's what I said FOOL!! haha lol, I've always wanted to say that...
Old 06-23-2011, 05:14 PM   #47 
StacyPaige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil D View Post
That's what I said FOOL!! haha lol, I've always wanted to say that...
Haha you are funny. :) Thanks for your help, too.

I will not get any shrimp OR the snail until I know I can keep my betta alive and I am determined to! I am prepping his (or her lol) new tank now. The betta I had was a male who was red/blue. So pretty. I am still sad about his loss and it's my fault. Not this time! No fish shall die in my tank ever again! lol sorry just had to say that.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #48 
Neil D

Well, if a fish never dies, then that is a vampire fish my friend! Uh oh, twilight moment....it wouldn't be so bad if I was a girl who likes Twilight, but I'm a dude...*awkward silence*
Old 06-23-2011, 06:20 PM   #49 
Oldfishlady

Sorry for your loss.....IMO it sounded like either-temp and/or pH shock and/or chlorine/chloramine poison.....

Be sure and properly acclimate your new Betta to both water temp and chemistry of your tank water by adding small amounts of your dechlorinated tank water to the holding container with the Betta and pet shop water...dump half the pet shop water and toss either down the drain or in a house plants....add small amounts of your clean dechlorinated tank water that the Betta will live in over 20-30min....dump half and repeat process until the Betta is in 100% tank water in the holding container...net the Betta and add to the tank...you may have to top off the tank with more water...be sure and use dechlorinator with this new water for top offs...never add pet shop water to your tank.....you may have to go slower depending on the Bettas tolerance......

Always use a good dechlorinator as other have suggested in any water used for the Betta.....check the dechlorinator label for amount needed for chloramine since some recommend double dose when you have both chlorine and chloramines in the source water and when making water changes dose the dechlorinator for the full volume of the tank even with partial changes as a general rule

Also when making water changes check the water temp with a thermometer and try to keep the new water within a couple of degrees of the tank water to prevent any temp shock problems.....

Again sorry for your loss...stuff happens.....look forward to hearing about your next Betta and hope to see pic too.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:46 PM   #50 
Neil D

^+1