Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2011, 11:54 PM   #1 
ROSSELLA1

sorority?

Hi,
I've got one female in a 10 gallon and I'm thinking about starting a sorority. I've read the sticky and it says to add the least aggressive ones first. My question is: How does one know which ones are the least aggressive?
ROSSELLA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:51 AM   #2 
Impolite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSSELLA1 View Post
Hi,
I've got one female in a 10 gallon and I'm thinking about starting a sorority. I've read the sticky and it says to add the least aggressive ones first. My question is: How does one know which ones are the least aggressive?
Just see how it acts on its own, like, if it tries to bite you when you're feeding, then it's pretty agressive. And, for being a female, if it flares at you a lot, thennnn its aggressive. If it always looks friendly towards you, then you've got yourself a pretty mellow fish :). My girl i had (who was semi-aggressive I guess) was already in my planted 10 gal when i started my sorority, but, I had a clear breeder thing and I distracted her with a new female betta (who was super mellow) and added the others, who were mellow and half aggressive, then when she went to check them out, I let the other one out.

That's just the method I used. Because with the new ones, i didn't really know if they were super mellow or not.
Impolite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:49 PM   #3 
ROSSELLA1

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2011, 07:17 PM   #4 
Impolite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSSELLA1 View Post
Thanks!
Good luck!!!!! I hope you have as much as I did! It was terrifying at first, so beware. And if you see a huge fight going on, net them for a couple mins and try again :)
Impolite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:45 PM   #5 
ROSSELLA1

Thank you:)
Old 06-30-2011, 10:00 PM   #6 
MaggieLynn

I didnt have any females when I started mine, but while I was setting up the tank i had them all in their cups in a group so they could see each other and watched how they reacted to each other and I made some predictions to myself on which i thought could be the alpha, just observe the one you have and the new ones when you get them, i suggest getting four more, i have my 5 in a 10 gal and i think its plenty room cuz they are together yet kinda have their own spots in the tank, just make sure you have lots of plants and hiding spots, i realized i need alot more
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote