Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2011, 12:16 AM   #1 
creativek14

Exclamation please emergency, please

My betta Andrew suddenly got sick over the course of the day, he can't seem to move away from the top of his tank, he's swimming sideways, his stomach is bloated and he's thrashing about trying to swim down. Please if anyone can help me I cannot lose my baby boy, I can't.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5- 3 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 75
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? no
Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day, 4 at a time

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week (just did it today)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? conditioner

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? bloated stomach
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? suddenly panicky, thrashing about trying to get down
When did you start noticing the symptoms? about 5 minutes ago when I went to check on him
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? a pinch of aquarium salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? helped him recover from a neglectful pet store
How old is your fish (approximately)? He's tiny tiny, so not entirely sure

Last edited by creativek14; 06-23-2011 at 12:18 AM.
creativek14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:35 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Get him into a QT tank immediately and don't use the water you put aquarium salt in, use fresh tank water. Use the cup he came in or something similar if you have to. Only fill it to about 1-2" so he can easily reach the surface. Next, get a gallon of dechlorinated water and put 3 tsp of epsom salts. Not aquarium salt, epsom salt. Andrew sounds like has constipation that has led to swim bladder disorder. The epsom salt will act as a laxative and encourage him to pass waste. Pour some of the epsom salt water into his cup. If you can, float his cup in his tank so he stays warm. Cover the cup (with breathing holes of course) if necessary to keep him from jumping out.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:37 AM   #3 
creativek14

THANK YOU <3 Im going to do that right now
creativek14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:49 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Keep us posted on how Andrew is doing. I hope he pulls through and gets better for you.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:51 AM   #5 
Luimeril

they often seem panicky when they're bloated and unable to swim. it's pretty freaky for them, kinda like how you'd react to suddenly being unable to walk. x:

my Cup is going through the same thing as your Andrew, just recovering from it, in fact. fast him for a few days, and if you can get your hands on some frozen daphnia, that'll help him poo. x:
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:53 AM   #6 
Sakura8

Off-topic but, Luimeril, long time no see you post
Old 06-23-2011, 02:56 AM   #7 
Luimeril

it's been too hot in my room to sit in here, posting. x-x i had to give my bunny the fan i usually use to keep my computer cool. x: i don't want her over-heating, ya know? it's been over 100F here. Dx Cup's all sinky now. D: poor old man, can't get a break, can he? D:
Old 06-23-2011, 03:04 AM   #8 
Sakura8

Try taking an empty Gatorade bottle or something like that and freezing it, then putting it in the cage (remove label first or the bunny will do it for you ^_^). My rabbit loved that during the summer. He would lay up against it, little nose going a mile a minute.

creativek, once Andrew calms down and is no longer thrashing or struggling, you can add more epsom salt to his cup so it's a little fuller. But as long as he's struggling, he'll need the shallower water to make him feel like he can swim down, and to reach the surface easier.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:12 AM   #9 
Luimeril

she seems happy with the fan so far. she'll lay with her back to it, her little nose going crazy. i think she's a bit upset, though. D: my sister's bunny died the other day, so she's not no one bouncing about on the top of her cage(they were stacked, with Gizzy's smaller cage on Mocha's larger one). she seems extra loveable, and demands pettings and her form of cuddles(she sits on the cage door, in my lap, and will bump my hand till it's back on her head if i stop petting her).

OP, if you have the betta cup the bettas usually come in from pet stores, those work wonders for floating bettas. x:
Old 06-23-2011, 03:17 AM   #10 
Sakura8

Haha, so cute. Well, just in case you want your fan back. And I'm sorry about your sister's bunny.