Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2011, 03:48 AM   #1 
Jessyka

*mart Employee/Introduction/Pictures/Wall of Text

I work at a certain *mart that sells bettas. I only know this because someone brought a betta up to my register but then decided she didn't want it because it "wasn't moving around enough."

He had very little water, so I went back to the break room and got him some filtered water to put in his cup. I put him on the customer service desk with a note that said, "please check on the bettas, they need water." I went over to see for myself and this is what I found:

So, I waited until my shift was over and when the 1st shift manager came in I told him to "please send someone to check on the bettas and give them water." He said he'd take care it.

Next day, nothing.
I repeated this with FOUR different supervisors.
Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Oh, well, not total nothing. One time I went back to check on them and they had moved the worse looking ones to the back of the shelf after I pulled them to the front so people could see.

I am off for a few days, but when I go back, I'll be giving the bettas some more water (since I know no one else is taking this seriously) but not before some more pictures and contacting my store manager. If my store manager does nothing, I'm going to my market manager. Someone WILL listen to me. Not only is this cruel, it's also losing us money (that's how you get the attention of these people).

Ugh.

On a lighter note, the fish that the woman did not want, I ended up taking home. My boyfriend decided to get one too just to get them out of the store. We bought a 10g tank and partitioned it. Please excuse my craptacular cell phone quality pictures.

(I turned the filter off because it was blowing my poor fishy all over the place.)

That pretty guy is mine. We bonded when I saved him. >.>

That pretty guy is my boyfriend's fishy.

Oh, and here is a video to show you what I meant by my filter problem:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn3UjpLHB8o

I hope this huge post is in the right place. I look forward to becoming a betta addict, I can already feel it creeping in. >.>
Jessyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:53 AM   #2 
fightergirl2710

That is so horrible! I can't believe these people wont take care of these fish even for the sake of business! They should be banned from selling them
And kudos to you for trying to get them to do something and for taking that lil guy home
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:25 AM   #3 
Jessyka

I'm going to volunteer to start taking care of them. The person who is supposed to works on the other side of the store! I mean... I do too, BUT I'm a crazy animal fanatic who would dedicate time to take care of them. I'm a cashier/grocery instock person right now, but I'm moving to maintenance in a month or so. When I'm doing safety sweeps, I'll just mosey on over there and clean up the cups a bit. Possibly put a few flyers or cards out directing them to this site. >.>
Jessyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:35 AM   #4 
fightergirl2710

Yay! I'm glad that at least some Walmarts have knowledgeable people like you working for them! Maybe you could steer people away from the 1/2 gallon bowls while you're at it!
Old 06-23-2011, 05:32 AM   #5 
Arashi Takamine

Kudo's to you for doing things right!

Your boys are gorgeous! A VT and a combtail!
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:30 AM   #6 
1fish2fish

Kudos to you. I wish more employees would take the initiative to do something. Please do make sure you keep complaining, and if you can have other members of the community (friends, boyfriend, people you meet in the store) complain as well. They WILL listen eventually, I know because I've gotten bettas taken out of one store and improved the care of them in another.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:43 AM   #7 
Wyvern

Hi and welcome!

You can keep the filter running - just baffle it. There is a thread here somewhere and if my internet behaved I would link it.

Ok now honestly I know you all talked about the "cups" you got your betta's in, I never really realised exactly what you meant! Now I am going to hold thumbs that when Walmart opens their stores here in South Africa (sometime in the next year I suspect), that they dont bring that habit over. Altho I will admit I dont think they will get away with it here. We have rather strict policies inplace and because the country is small we have various forums where we make it known when we dissaprove of a company's ethics. They get boycotted easily by fishkeepers.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:50 AM   #8 
fightergirl2710

The worst thing is that those cups in the pictures aren't even exactly tiny! Its just the negligence... There's an inch of water in there.. :(
Old 06-23-2011, 09:00 AM   #9 
sjones

Hi. You may get fired. Be sure to document everything as you are, Maybe you can use it to do a lawsuit later. Remember, managers do not want problems they want to be left alone and made to look like they are doing a good job (so they don't lose theirs). If you are seen as a problem maker they will eliminate you. I would a. transfer to the fish department or b. do the water changes yourself, off time (after work) be sure to add dechlorinator and make sure the temperature of the new water is the same as the old.
Remember, they can fire you for any reason, but if you can prove it was (and have documented pictures and written down/recorded events) you may be able to take legal action (if they are breaking the law, which I believe animal cruelty is). Keep us posted. There are several movements to end how betta fish are treated. Check out Fight Walmart Fish Cruelty on facebook.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:15 AM   #10 
Littlebittyfish

Beautiful bettas.
You can baffle your filter by rubber banding an aquarium sponge in front of the outtake.It slows it down quite a bit.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote