Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2011, 05:13 PM   #1 
unknown892002

Fin rot emergency

So my poor little betta has a fin rot problem, I've been noticing it since a few months ago, and it wasn't that bad, so I figured with water changes 2x-3x a week, it would get better, to no avail, I changed 50% each time, and once a week doing a 100% change, I decided to then start medicating him as it wasn't going away.

I started off with the jungle fungus eliminator, which I followed the treatment cycle through, nothing changed. I then gave him a week break from the meds, and then tried the jungle fungus fizz tablets, and he started showing some improvement when I used those, fins started to grow back etc, even went a little longer on them than the box said, just to be sure. Now lately after I stopped medicating him, the rot has come back, and it's worse than before, I kept him in the same tank when I did the treatment, but changed the water and cleaned the gravel completely before medicating him, I just don't know what to do, so help would be appreciated.

Housing What size is your tank? 2.5 gal.

What temperature is your tank? 76-80F

Does your tank have a filter? yes

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Charcoal stone, removed it during medicating though

Is your tank heated? yes

What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food Tetra BettaMin - Tropical Medley flakes

How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x day

Maintenance How often do you perform a water change? 2-3x

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra BettaSafe

Water Parameters: Have you tested your water? Nope

Symptoms and Treatment How has your betta fish's appearance changed? ragged fins, just looks horrible...

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? none really, stays near the top of the tank sometimes, but swims around and eats like crazy

When did you start noticing the symptoms? since february and march Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? stated above

Does your fish have any history of being ill? not that I know of, just the fin rot

How old is your fish (approximately)? maybe a year old

Thank you everyone for taking the time to read this and give advice -Sincerely, a Worried Betta owner

Last edited by unknown892002; 06-21-2011 at 05:20 PM. Reason: paragraphs not forming properly
unknown892002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:18 PM   #2 
frogipoi

Try cleaning the tank twice 50% and once 100% a week. Have you tried salt? I heard it helps some fish, and it helped mine with fin rot. Can you get pictures?
Hopefully I can help :)
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:23 PM   #3 
unknown892002

Hey, thanks for the quick reply, finally got the paragraph problem fixed, thread looks better now, but um, I haven't tried any salt yet, do you know where I can pick some up? As well as what type to look for when buying it?

I might be able to get pictures in a day or so, but I'm so ashamed of how he looks, he just looks so bad and I've been trying everything to get him better, but he just keeps getting worse, it all went downhill after I stopped with the jungle fungus fizz tablets, thanks again

Last edited by unknown892002; 06-21-2011 at 05:23 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-21-2011, 05:26 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry your Betta isn't well....can you post a pic....and you are sure he is not tail-biting or something in the tank causing the fin damage like decoration, filter...etc.....

I would QT him in a small bare bottom-clear container that can be floated in the heated tank to maintain a water temp in the 76-77F range and start aquarium salt 2tsp/gal, tannins along with 100% daily water changes for 10 days

Pre-mix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water...Add aquarium salt 2tsp/gal and tannins...either IAL or dried oak leaf and use this water for the 100% daily water change while in the small QT for 10 days.....the longer the tannins steep the more tannin will be released the darker the water the more the Betta will like it....each day the water in the pre-mixed jug should get darker and this is what you want.....
The combo of the antibacterial/fungal properties of the salt and tannins will help especially if he is resistant from all the antibiotic used....

Nutrition is also important for healing/recovery/regrowth of fin and for the immune response....live food like mosquito larva would help...frozen then pellets if that is all you have....a high protein varied diet fed in small frequent meals is best....

Good luck and keep us posted.....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 06-21-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:58 PM   #5 
unknown892002

So I got a picture, it's not the best, because he was lingering near the top, but you can see the horrible conditions of the fins, I know.. it's terrible, I've been trying to help him but ugh.. Also, I've been using the jungle fungus fizz tabs again, tomorrow is the day for the next dose and water change, so what do you guys recommend I do? add another dose or what? I'm kinda worried to just start medicating him like that, and then stopping instantly... btw the stains are on the outside of the glass, I have to clean them when I change the water again, just to clarify

Last edited by unknown892002; 06-21-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:08 PM   #6 
frogipoi

Try the salt. It is usually found in all pet stores, even if they have a small fish portion. It helps make the betta fell less stressed and help stop some cases of fin rot. Get Aquarium Salt from API, they usually look like milk cartons. 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons. so 1/5 of a tablespoon per gallon. Hope this helps! :)
Unlike medicine, it doesn't really hurt the fish while healing it. Or at least I don't think so.
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:18 PM   #7 
Silverfang

Oh his fins do look sad. I realize this has probably been said, alot, but clean clean water is one of the best things for him. At least it doesn't appear he is biting his fins.
Also OFL's advice on nutrition is sound. Live is generally the best food, followed by frozen, followed by pellet, with flake or freeze dried considered the least good.
Hope he starts to feel better.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:30 PM   #8 
unknown892002

I know his fins are horrible :( They were looking great and showing tons of regrowth until I stopped the medication, and then the rot came back, I mean, it's really irritating. And why is he lingering near the top of the tank so much? Any ideas?

So do you guys think I should continue the fizz tablet treatment? the schedule for the next does is tomorrow with a water change, also, where can I get the leaves and stuff that OFL suggested? I will also go out and pick up some aquarium salt too, and hopefully try to save my poor betta, if you guys think he can even be saved :\

Also, what type of frozen food do you guys recommend for him? like brandwise

One more thing, do you guys think the charcoal airstone I use in the filter had any effect on causing the rot or what?

Thanks again.

Last edited by unknown892002; 06-21-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:45 PM   #9 
Silverfang

I don't think the brand matters, as long as it's frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, or some other kind of worm. I have hikari frozen worms, but I'm sure there are different ones out there.
For IAL or Indian Almond Leaves, ebay is your best bet, you may be able to find it else where, but I really am not sure about where. I believe people have used NON caffinated extra plain, nothing added green tea when nothing else was available, however I can't really advise.
For dealing with bad fin rot changing his water on a daily basis is recommended. You can try to float a small container, like a rubbermaid container or the cup he came in in the tank. It makes the change alot easier, and keeps him warm at the same time. If you do that it's recommended you premix 1 gal of water with whatever you plan on treating him with, plus dechlorinator.
Charcoal in a filter shouldn't cause fin rot, however it will absorb medications in the water.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #10 
unknown892002

Alright, here's an update guys, I went out and got some aquarium salt today, as well as frozen brine shrimp and some bloodworms, but the question I'm having is when do I add the salt? I added the 2nd and final dose of the jungle fizz medication yesterday, and it's a 4 day medicine with water changes.

So my question is, should I just stop the treatment early? as another water change is scheduled in a couple days and add the salt now? Or wait for the medicine to finish it's course, thanks!