Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2011, 09:55 AM   #1 
kimmy2100

Do bettas know how to feed off of feeding blocks? Going on vacation.

Hi. I have 3 bettas. 2 are in a 10 gallon tank with a divider and 1 is in a 10 gallon by himself. I have bought the 7 day feeding blocks for when I was on a week vacation but when I came back only one of the feeders was gone. It looked like the other fish did not use them. There was a lot of food left on the feeders. My mom did feed them some during that week though. My family reunion is for 2 weeks. My mom is going to go back home for a day after 1 week so she could feed them then but then she would be leaving again. I am just not sure what I should do. I am not sure if they are eating off of the feeding blocks. I could bring them with me and put them in smaller containers (1 gallon)but I think that would stress them out since they are used to having lots of space. I could even bring the aquariums with me but that would be kind of a hassle to take all the water out and set them up again. I don't really have anyone to stop by and feed them. What do you think I should do? Thanks.
kimmy2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:23 PM   #2 
bahamut285

I've had a similar experience with these things. I gave one to my goldfish before I left on holiday and asked my boyfriend at the time to check on them anyway. They had scoffed the 1 week feeder in 3 days. He eventually just had to come by every few days to feed them and monitor their behaviour for me.

As to what you should do. I would recommend buying an extra set and put them in NOW to see if they eat it. Don't feed them regularly just see if they go for the feeders. If they do then you're golden, if not then you may just have to take them along, whether in the 1 gal or the 10s. It will be difficult to heat the 1 gals though...as well as you'd have to change the water everyday.

Just as a warning though, some people have really bad experiences with these things, i.e. clouding up REALLY badly, coming home to sick fish, etc.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:41 PM   #3 
kimmy2100

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:31 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Those feeder blocks can mess up your water from what I've heard.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:34 PM   #5 
fishman12

Yeah that's what I heard
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:46 PM   #6 
ollief9

Personally, I would not use them at all. They're more trouble than they're worth. Fish can go up to two weeks without food, so I'm sure 1 week won't harm them.
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:46 AM   #7 
kimmy2100

Thanks for your help everyone :)