Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2011, 12:03 PM   #1 
DarkMoon17

Betta Fish Medications

Though it is always better to use conservative methods like Aquarium Salt, Epsom Salt and water changes when treating fish illnesses, it is important to feel comfortable with medicines should you have to use them. When I treat an illness, I usually combine appropriate medications to treat the symptoms of illness so that the fish is strong enough to fight off the infection. The medications you use depends on your specific circumstances. For instance, though Aquarium Salt is the normal treatment for Popeye, if the eye is too swollen, treating with Aquarium Salt could only make things worse. It is important to realize this and alter your treatment plan. In this case, Epsom Salt should be used to reduce swelling and a medicine should be used in place of Aquarium Salt to fight the infection.

Here is a list of medications available at Petsmart. Petco no longer carries fish medication. Do not randomly mix medications. Do your research. Do not mix Ick medications with any other treatment including Salt (they often include salt). Get in the habit of looking at the active ingredients. Be suspicious of any medicine that either does not list the active ingredients or does not tell you how much of the active ingredient is actually in the medication.

Things I have on hand at all times
Things I would use again and what I used it for
Things I would NEVER spend money on, or used without success

Mardel
Maracyn
  • Treats: Columnaris, Fin Rot, Popeye, Dropsy
  • Active Ingredients: 200mg Erythromyacin
Maracyn II
  • Treats: Septicemia, Fin Rot, Cotton Wool Disease
  • Active Ingredients: 10mg Minocycline
Maroxy
  • Treats: True Fungal infections of fish and eggs
  • Active Ingredients: Stabilized Chlorine Oxides
Maracide
  • Treats: Ick, Velvet, External Parasites
  • Active Ingredients: Malachite Green, Chitosan
CopperSafe
  • Treats: Ick, Velvet, External Parasites
  • Active Ingredients: Chelated coppersulfate
Jungle/Tetra Tetra has recently purchased Jungle Labs. I have noticed that some of their ingredients have changed or concentrations were reduced. I am somewhat skeptical of this brand now that the concentrations were changed and/or reduced.
Anti Parasite Pellets
  • Treats: internal parasites and some internal bacterial infections, including those responsible for Dropsy.
  • 1% Metronidazole, 5% Praziquantel, 4% Levamisole
Parasite Clear Fizz Tabs
  • Treats: internal and external parasites including flukes, internal worms, lice, anchor worms and flagellates such as hexamita or spironucleus associated with hole-in-the-head disease.
  • Active Ingredients: metronidazole, praziquantel, trichlorfon, diflubenzuron
Tetra Parasite Guard
  • Treats: External and internal parasites including flukes, intestinal worms, lice, anchor worms, flagellates and hole-in-the-head disease
  • Active Ingredients: Praziqiantel, Diflubenzuron, Metronidazole, Acriflavine
Ick Treatment
  • Treats: Ick and velvet
  • Active Ingredients: victoria green, acriflavine
  • May stain aquatic and non-aquatic materials
Fungus Clear/Eliminator
  • Treats: a variety of fungus and bacteria-related conditions, including fungus, tail, fin and mouth rot, hemorrhagic septicemia, clamped fins, dropsy. Also clears open red sores, eye cloud, pop eye, swim bladder disease.
  • Active Ingredients: nitrofurazone, furazolidone, potassium dichromate, methylene blue, acriflavine
LifeGuard Useless
  • Treats: fungus, ick, red streaks, milky or shedding slime, flukes, bacterial gill disease, mouth and fin rot, clamped or torn fins, and ulcers
  • Active Ingredients: 1-chloro-2,2,5,5-tetramethyl-4-imidazolidinone
  • Not suitable for scaleless fish, invertebrates, or newly set up tanks
API
Super Ick Cure
  • Treats: Ick
  • Active Ingredients: 3.6mg Malachite Green, 60mg Nitrofurazone
Fungus Cure
  • Treats: Fungus, Mouth Fungus (Columnaris), body slime, eye cloud, fin rot
  • Active Ingredients: 3mg Victoria Green B and 30mg Acriflavine
General Cure
  • Treats: Gill/skin flukes, hole-in-the-head disease, wasting disease (internal parasites), swollen abdomen (tapeworm or dropsy).
  • 250mg Metronidazole, 75mg Praziqiental
Triple Sulfa
  • Treats: Hemorrhagic Septicemia, mouth fungus (columnaris), body slime, eye cloud, bacterial gill disease, fin rot
  • Active Ingredients: 664mg Sodium Sulfathiazole, 168mg Sodium Sulfamethazine, 168 Sodium Silfacetamide
T.C. Tetracycline
  • Treats: External and Internal bacterial infections including fin rot, bacterial gill disease, hemorrhagic septicemia, open red sores, body slime and eye cloud
  • 500mg Tetracycline Hydrochloride
E.M. Erythromyacin
  • Treats: Fin rot, open sores, mouth fungus, hemorrhagic septicemia, and bacterial gill disease.
  • 200mg Erythromycin
Melafix
  • Treats: damaged fins, ulcers and open wounds
  • Active Ingredients: Melaleuca 1%
Pimafix
  • Treats: fungal infections
  • Active Ingredients: Pimenta Racemusa 1%
Super Ick Cure (liquid)
  • Active Ingredients: 1.3 mg Benzaldehyde green, 1% PVP
  • Will stain
  • Use 1/2dose for scaless or week fish
Stress Coat
  • Treats: Reduces stress and aids repair of tissue
  • Neutralizes heavy metals
  • Active Ingredients: Sodium thiosulfate, Aloe Vera
Kordon
Rid Ich Plus
  • Active Ingredients: Formaldehyde 4.26%, Zinc free chloride salt of Malachite green
  • Do not use with additional Aquarium Salt
  • Do not use with invertebrates
  • “Safer” for scaless fish.
Ick Attack 100% Natural
  • Active Ingredients: 5% active ingredients including Naphthoquinone
  • “All natural ingredients”
  • Safe for most invertebrates and scaless fish
Fish Protector
  • Treats: Soothes missing scales and bruises, Adds extra slime coat, removes copper, zinc and iron. Aids activity of medications.
  • Active Ingredients: Vitamin B12 and Echinacea
BettaFix
  • Treats: Bacterial diseases, torn fins, red ulcers, slimy patches
  • Active Ingredients: Melaleuca
Betta Revive
  • Treats: protozoan, bacterial and fungal infections
  • Active Ingredients: neomycin sulfate <10%, methylene blue <0.5%, malachite green chloride <0.01%
Alternative Medications
Potassium Permangante
  • Treats: External bacterial and parasite infestations
  • Active Ingredients: KMNO4
Antibacterial Treatments approved for fish
  • Amikacin sulfate (Amiglyde-V®), Ceftazidime (Fortaz®), Enrofloxacin (Baytril®), Florfenicol, Nitrofurazone, Oxytetracycline, Trimethoprim sulfadiazine (Tribrissen)
Parasiticides
  • Diflubenzuron (Dimilin®), Fenbendazole (Panacur®), Formaldehyde, Levamisole phosphate (Ripercol®), Metronidazole (Flagyl®), Praziquantel (Droncit®), Trichlorfon
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:45 PM   #2 
Creat

Great list the only thing I notice is you say Maroxy didnt work for you? I always have it on hand it always gives me the results I want... But thats just me all the other useless ones I agree with.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:12 PM   #3 
DarkMoon17

It might just be my personal experiences with Maroxy but I've just had no success with it. I'm not a big fan of the ingredient either, it's just a low dose of chlorine. They don't even say how much is in there. If it works for you then don't worry about it, Maroxy and I just don't get along!
Old 06-26-2011, 01:32 AM   #4 
Creat

Ha ha I wonder do medications have a different effect if used in different water hardness or pH?
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:46 AM   #5 
metalbetta

What would be your recommendation out of these for fighting columnaris? Triple Sulfa is working on one of my infected fish, but not on the other. Looking for a stronger med... Trying to avoid using aquarium salt, since it seems to make this strain only multiply faster.
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:24 AM   #6 
Sakura8

Sticky this as well, Dr. DarkMoon. This is an invaluable resource for us all.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:39 AM   #7 
DarkMoon17

metalbetta- Tetracycline and Erythromycin can both be used to fight columnaris. You might have more luck with Erythromycin because, from what I understand, some strains of bacteria have become immune to Tetracycline.

I would actually start treatment with a Potassium Permanganate dip, since that would kill most of the external bacteria and give the fish a fighting chance with the medicine.

Sakura- If only I was a doctor now, I still have 6 years to go though D: But it's worth it. I hope this will help people out :)
Old 06-26-2011, 10:40 AM   #8 
Sakura8

6 yrs to qualify as a human doctor. You've definitely gotten your license as a betta doctor. This info is invaluable for us and will help all of us advise the right medicines to people. If you're ever interested, you could probably turn this info into a book, like a Kindle book or an e-book. I'd buy it in a flash.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:15 AM   #9 
DarkMoon17

Sorry, I meant Veterinarian! Vets are doctors as well. It takes 8 years to be a vet and even longer if I want to specialize in Exotics and Fish like I plan to. I've only gotten through 2 years so far, 6 to go. I don't like people enough to be a human doctor, animals are much more rewarding imo >.>
Old 06-26-2011, 11:23 AM   #10 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
Sorry, I meant Veterinarian! Vets are doctors as well. It takes 8 years to be a vet and even longer if I want to specialize in Exotics and Fish like I plan to. I've only gotten through 2 years so far, 6 to go. I don't like people enough to be a human doctor, animals are much more rewarding imo >.>
I can't agree with you more. Wherever you set up practice, the fish owners will be very lucky to have you. As it is, we're so lucky to have you and your knowledge on the forum. Thanks, Dr. DarkMoon.