Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2011, 05:42 PM   #11 
PewPewPew

Ive read through these articles and found that people suggest gloves, but what kind of gloves work? (If, say, we needed/wanted them)?

Would the gloves you get to wash dishes work, the yellow rubber ones? :O

My future roomie gets a little skittish with that sort of thing (fearing of TB or not lol!) so Ive always wanted to get her a pair to help her feel more comfortable.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:50 PM   #12 
Oldfishlady

They have aquarium glove that go up to the shoulder...but regular type glove or the playtex type dishing washing gloves would work....you have to have gloves long enough to prevent water from getting in them at the wrist area...goal is to keep the tank water off the hands......in a pinch....plastic bags would work....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #13 
PewPewPew

Thats true! And yes, they would need to be long. Her tank is on the smaller/shallower side, so I have a feeling those gloves would work for her.

Thanks!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:19 PM   #14 
MikiMaki

Haha when I told my DMV prof about it in school a few years back he didn't even realize fish could get tb or that it was zoonotic. He was a cow doc though. :))
MikiMaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:33 PM   #15 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikiMaki View Post
Haha when I told my DMV prof about it in school a few years back he didn't even realize fish could get tb or that it was zoonotic. He was a cow doc though. :))
Its not the same TB that humans get in the lungs..but in the same family.......
Tuberculosis (Mycobacterium tuberculosis)...
fish TB (Mycobacterium marinum)
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:37 PM   #16 
Luimeril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
They have aquarium glove that go up to the shoulder...but regular type glove or the playtex type dishing washing gloves would work....you have to have gloves long enough to prevent water from getting in them at the wrist area...goal is to keep the tank water off the hands......in a pinch....plastic bags would work....

those sound cool. x: i want some now. >.>;

eehh.... i have a cut on my finger(ironically, from a spare fish bowl, half gallon i never used. it broke when it bumped my mom's one gallon fish bowl. xD), so, as much as i want to change my fish's water, i'm holding off until the cut heals. it still hurts, so i know it's not 100% healed. i'd have held off changing fish water, even if i hadn't heard of Fish TB. :/
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:05 PM   #17 
kathstew

OMGOMGOMG. I'M immune suppressed! Jeez-us! :/
Now I'm all freaked out! >.< WHAT DO I DO?!
I don't SEE any cuts on my hands, and my fish seem OK....
how does a fish inside a healthy tank get TB? Can it only be passed from one fish to another, or can the fish kinda inflict it upon itself (like fin rot from biting type thing).
I'm all worried now...
I guess if I ever DID get sick (and I really hope I don't) with something even remotely like this, I will let my doctors know ASAP that it could be fish TB.
I always wash my hands before and after putting my hands in the tank, and I keep up with changes, and treat for any signs of illness in my tank right away. Oh god, I hope thats enough...

Edit: Then again, I have two dogs, and they are quite messy and actually do gross things. So I guess if I haven't caught anything from them, I'm unlikely to get something from my fish....
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:13 PM   #18 
Silverfang

My friend was stressing that unless you're like post liver transplant or something major like that, as long as you don't y'know, drink the water a sick fish has been in. Should be okay with common sense precautions like gloves/ washing hands.
I'd explain it in greater detail, but the scientific explanations get kinda confusing.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:28 AM   #19 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

kathstew,

It's good to be aware of this problem. Now that you know, you can take precautions.

What I find disconcerting, from an aquarist point of view, it that there is no way to QT for this (unless you fish arrives majorly unwell and the signs of disease of obvious).

Every new fish you add to you tank is a potential time bomb that could take down a community/sorority.

How prevalent is this disease in current fish populations?
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:37 AM   #20 
1fish2fish

OMG THANK YOU. I was getting so tired of constantly repeating that its very VERY RARE for a human to get infected.

If your worried, wear gloves, problem solved. I always wear gloves when changing water or doing tank maintenance because I wash dishes all day and despite washing my hands several times a day I would prefer not to risk chemical contamination in my tanks.

Edit to add.

I vote for this to be moved to the disease section and stickied there so newbies can see it, or possibly in the Betta care section although I think there are already to many stickies there.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote