Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2011, 04:59 PM   #1 
Nexangelus

The ideal betta tank cleaner.

I see a lot of threads on the internet about people keeping snails to keep the tank clean, and an equal number who want to house shrimp with bettas. If you've read up on it at all, you'll see that it's a bit of a gamble when adding common ghost or cherry shrimp with a betta. Some do fine, some get eaten within minutes. All a matter of personality.

I wanted to make a recommendation for those looking to keep shrimp AND have a sparkling clean tank - Amano Shrimp. What sets them apart from other shrimp is their size. They get to be about two inches and are a good deal larger. Obviously, you can't keep them in a small bowl with a betta - but you really should know that tankmates are a bit out of the question in small living quarters.

Now, the best part... They're UNBELIEVABLE algae eaters. Not only are they fast moving, but are very thorough. I had an abalone shell in my tank that was died green from algae and looked like a green stone in appearance. Within 20 minutes or so, it was shimmering in the light and I couldn't find a trace of green on it. Additionally, I had a driftwood piece that had accumulated a pretty thick layer of dirt from the plants I added. I'm not certain if they moved it around or ate it, but the log is now dirt-free and looking great.

Keeping plants? These guys will eat all the algae off the leaves, stems and even the roots of plants like java ferns all without damaging even the most delicate of plants (Glossostigma, for example).

These guys aren't common in fish stores, but they're worth the extra effort to find. I've never had such an effective clean up crew and sparkling tank. Plus, they look really cool too. Sort of like a ghost shrimp with a fancy fan tail.

Only downside is they generally run about 5 dollars a piece in fish stores. I've read they have a much longer lifespan than typical shrimp though, so maybe that's not too bad of a deal.

Anyways, thought I'd share that information with those interested in keeping shrimp with their bettas, especially since nobody had made that suggestion on this forum.
Nexangelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:07 PM   #2 
LouCB

i have two of these :)
LouCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:14 PM   #3 
Nexangelus

They're great, aren't they? What kind of tank do you have them in?
Old 06-23-2011, 06:32 PM   #4 
Like You

Wow, will definitely have to find these! I have a 10 gal tank and it kinda hard to clean thoroughly. These guys will totally help, thankyou!
Like You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:46 PM   #5 
Nexangelus

Then I'd say they'd make the perfect addition. Talk to your LFS about special ordering them. They're in season right now and aren't very difficult for shops to order this time of year. Just make sure you don't feed them too much (I don't feed mine at all) or they'll get too lazy! Last thing you want is a huge shrimp who does nothing by lays around snacking on algae wafers.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #6 
copperarabian

what about bamboo shrimp? The one's at the local petco seem like a decent size. I've been always been a little worried about putting them with my betta lol
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:19 PM   #7 
Nexangelus

Bamboo shrimp actually get a little TOO large (4-5 inches) to be housed with a betta. I'd give it the same chance of success as regular shrimp, but with the risk being to your betta. I've heard a few horror stories of bamboo shrimp killing/eating bettas once they get larger. Also, they have nowhere near the cleaning capacity and are about as useful as any typical bottom feeder in terms of keeping your tank clean.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:38 PM   #8 
copperarabian

O.O .....oh, how scary
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:05 PM   #9 
TonyK

This wikipedia article says they plankton eaters. I don't really think they will attack a Betta.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bamboo_shrimp
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:14 PM   #10 
Nexangelus

I'm not so sure how credible that article is, or if it's even talking about the same bamboo shrimp you find in stores like Petco. I've seen them at easily 4 inches before, and that article states 2-3 inches is the max size.

Although, after a quick google search, I'm finding bamboo shrimp with fan claws instead of pinchers... Hm, the ones I've seen were definitely bamboo, but without fan claws. I'm not sure which kind Copper is referring to, but I'd say Tony is right if it doesn't have the pinchers.