Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2011, 09:40 PM   #1 
beaver999

First spawn, going good so far! :)

Hi, i'm new, but I didn't see a place to introduce myself so I figure i'll just throw that at the beginning of this thread!

So I had my pair in the spawning tank, then decided I would rather spawn a different pair, because the male was ignoring the female and not building a bubble nest(I should say not building it fast enough cause i'm impatient! lol). Well as soon as the male is back in his little 5 gallon he decides to start building his bubble nest. So i put the female in a jar he could see into and set the jar into the tank. He goes crazy and builds a huge bubble nest, so I turned off the filter and let them loose. They are currently still wrapping and putting eggs into the bubble nest. I figure as soon as the fry are free swimming and I don't have to worry about keeping the bubble nest together I will add a sponge filter I have running in another tank that is being unused and do a 50% water change. In a few minutes I will add a pretty good pic I got of the female dropping eggs as the male is swimming to pick all the other eggs up and get them to the nest!
beaver999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:45 PM   #2 
lunawatsername

awesome, good luck!! oh and can you tell us what color/tail type the parents are? :)
lunawatsername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:59 PM   #3 
beaver999

The male is a double tail halfmoon and the female is a normal viel tail, so I know the babies will be interesting, not show bettas obviously, but very cool none the less.
Petco is about to have there 1 dollar per gallon sale on tanks, and I get paid tomorrow(Is it a sign? I think so.), so i might end up setting up a 55 gallon grow out tank on one of those stands that hold two 10 gallons on the bottom so I could also add another spawning tank and a divided 10 to keep more males in.
My other pair is a delta tailed dragon scaled male with a skinny butterfly pattern(Does that make sense? ) and the female is a halfmoon with the same skinny butterfly pattern, they are currently flirting!
I really want to get a nice, high quality pair off of aquabid or something like that and get some nice copper dragon halfmoons or something striking to keep and spawn.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:09 PM   #4 
lunawatsername

wow they sound pretty, bet the babies will be awesome! though i have heard that if you mate a veiltail, most if not all the babues will come out veiltail, because its the most diminant trait. still, itll have pretty colors

a dollar a gallon? i wish my petco would do that! i would be running around buying things like a madwoman!

and i totally know what you mean, i actually just bought some nice bettas off aquabid, and ill be spawning them soon :) and btw, your other bettas sound awesome! do you have any pics you could post?

and i totally forgot to say, welcome to TFK! its a really cool and friendly place, lots of helpful people (when i joined i knew nothing about fish. now i know, well, at least a little more lol) im sure youll like it here :)
Old 06-23-2011, 10:27 PM   #5 
beaver999

Ok, here is the pic of the female dropping eggs. excuse the smudges on the tank.

Here is the male

His fins are a bit tattered cause a few months back he managed to get himself stuck inside of a decoration, but they've grownback pretty nicley!

And photobomb! This is when I was trying to get shots of the female(When they were in the spawning tank) and the male decided he wanted HIS picture taken.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:35 PM   #6 
lunawatsername

hahahhaha a betta photobomb? made my day! and dont worry about it, half of my tanks have major smudging at any given time lol not to mention dog hair

but anyway, your fish are freakin GORGEOUS!!!! i especially love the males coloring, the blue and black makes me want one soooo bad lol
Old 06-23-2011, 10:42 PM   #7 
beaver999

well follow the thread and if any fry end up looking let him you'll be the first to know!
23 more hours till they hatch.
yes, counting the hours.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:26 PM   #8 
HD4life

Beautiful male! You complemented his colors well with the female. I'm thinking you will have some VT's and some that look more delta. I currently have 2 spawns one is two weeks old and the other 4 days old. Isnt it so exciting? Welcome to the forum and good luck :)
HD4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:09 PM   #9 
beaver999

It is so exciting! lol
my culture of micro worms is still in the mail but I got some live rotifers and frozen baby brine shrimp at the fish store today. The rotifers and microworms(Which should get here sometimes today or tomorrow) will be first foods, and then i'll see if they'll eat the frozen baby brine shrimp. If not, I have a trio of endlers i'm gonna move into their own breeding tank and I know baby endlers will go crazy over bbs! And I have a pair of kribs showing a heck of a lot of spawning behavior, and those babies should eat frozen bbs as well!
At 8am tomorrow morning they should begin to start swimming freely! I'm gonna have to get up early to feed them! haha
Old 06-24-2011, 03:31 PM   #10 
BetterBetta

Are you going to sell the spawn?
BetterBetta is offline   Reply With Quote